Okc stockyards

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Re: Okc stockyards

Post by Ky hills » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:37 am

elkwc wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:25 pm
There have been those who send in loads to auctions in OK and KS for years. I assume it works as they keep doing it. The buyers say those cattle have more sickness and they don't bring as much as a local calf.
That is logical, even when buying local calves through the stockyards here that most calves come from within a 40-50 radius at most there is sickness to be expected. For me personally I can attest that the drive from east central KY to southeast Oklahoma where my wife is from and where a lot of her family still live, that is a near 800 mile trip and it takes a toll on a person . I can only imagine the stress that a recently weaned calf would be put through. For several years there have been various types of preconditioned feeder calf sales around here that require that calves be weaned a minimum of 45 days and have had two rounds of specific vaccinations the second of which is an MLV vaccine. The calves are soused to be eating feed from bunks, on specific mineral programs and drinking from waterers so that in theory they are in a better position for upcoming shipping and transition from weaning, also supposedly they are supposed to bring a premium on this end as well.

Beefeater
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Beefeater » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:28 pm

Something you may find useful. I’m sure they’re all good to work with, just nice to have an idea...

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:01 pm

Watch the online sale feed from OKC stockyards some time. Not all cattle bring what the market report shows. You can always straighten out calves and sell them on video. Allot less risk with video, if you don’t like the price don’t sell. I’ve sold at OKC through Western Livestock Commission I think the owners name is Ben Hale. He gives a real deal market report on their FB page every week.

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Post by elkwc » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:56 pm

Western Livestock Commission also has auctions in Comanche and Fairview. Have heard good things about the Fairview auction since they have took over. The Caldwell, KS Livestock Commission took over the Enid,OK sale and it has really improved. We are fortunate to have several excellent options all within 80 miles.