2019 sale for us

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: 2019 sale for us

Post by Nesikep » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:37 am

TN Cattle Man wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:19 am
Great job Nesi... looks to be a quality sale barn. The one thing I noticed is how quiet it seemed to be compared to ours... were there a lot of buyers there?
There's about 3 or 4 people that do all the volume buying, lots of people sitting and watching

Gcreek, only one calf that went through was over 205 days old, and I kept all the biggest ones... I've also been reducing my mature cow size by a considerable margin, still tweaking that recipe... Had a few 3 year olds that had good calves the first time and had smaller ones this year, hoping they come into their own next year (they better.. OR ELSE!)

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:33 pm

Looks good Nes, I took a few wednesday, and it was a bloodbath, main buyers were gone and the good ole boys committed felony theft. Had 2 loads scheduled to sell this week, told the rep today, that they aren't getting them. So , now visiting with a couple more this week, as if I didn't have anything better to do.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:15 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:37 am
TN Cattle Man wrote:
Great job Nesi... looks to be a quality sale barn. The one thing I noticed is how quiet it seemed to be compared to ours... were there a lot of buyers there?
There's about 3 or 4 people that do all the volume buying, lots of people sitting and watching

Gcreek, only one calf that went through was over 205 days old, and I kept all the biggest ones... I've also been reducing my mature cow size by a considerable margin, still tweaking that recipe... Had a few 3 year olds that had good calves the first time and had smaller ones this year, hoping they come into their own next year (they better.. OR ELSE!)
Downsizing cows won’t begin by keeping the biggest heifers. :cboy:
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:07 am

gcreekrch wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:15 pm
Nesikep wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:37 am
TN Cattle Man wrote:

Downsizing cows won’t begin by keeping the biggest heifers. :cboy:
It depends if you're talking about biggest by weight or biggest by frame... I'm keeping the stockier ones... There was one nice heifer from a BIG cow, I know that heifer will grow to be a big cow as well

I like this one a lot more, she's got all the weight of the previous one but will probably mature at least a frame size smaller
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens