cattle on feed report

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
shaz
GURU
GURU

Re: cattle on feed report

Post by shaz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:52 am

Noticed that North Alabama is all cotton. That hasn't been the case in a long time. Two years ago it was corn & soy.

"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:12 am

Nice to have (profitable) options. I don't think the globe is warm enough yet to grow cotton or peanuts in Minnesota.

Some grain guys still have P & K they can mine every year, but in my woodlands soil region you need to apply manure to have a consistent chance for making a little money. A way to do this is to put up confinement hog or mono slope beef barns. Not my favorite system.
Stocker Steve

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:08 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:52 pm
Where do yall look at those numbers? Is there a website by chance?
Brute, I look at everything, feeder auctions, USDA summaries, placements and history, grain reports, its all a big game for the people with money, we just have to be better chess players. I'm taking some tomorrow.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:17 pm

Too much information.
You need to focus on your local market(s).
Stocker Steve

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:28 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:17 pm
Too much information.
Well steve, all bets are off when the market does what it did today. Wish mine would have sold earlier, prices were ok, when the news came everyone took a beating, including us.

ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ccr » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:51 pm

snoopdog wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:28 pm
Stocker Steve wrote:
Too much information.
Well steve, all bets are off when the market does what it did today. Wish mine would have sold earlier, prices were ok, when the news came everyone took a beating, including us.
what did the market do today? what's the news?
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:55 pm

ccr wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:51 pm
snoopdog wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:28 pm
Stocker Steve wrote:
Too much information.
what did the market do today? what's the news?
The DOW dropped almost 500

hornedfrogbbq
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by hornedfrogbbq » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:08 pm

Fat prices got smoked with the Tyson plant going down. Less processing capacity.

I have to say, I'm very bullish (pardon the pun). The African Swine Flu is devastating. Protein across the globe is being redirected to China. At some point, that HAS to have a positive effect for us.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:25 pm

Futures on fat prices had pretty much recovered to where they were before the Tyson fire. Sellers were just to the point of saying screw it to the packers and after some selling at 1.00 and a few below, down from over 1.10 before the fire, the rest just were holding. Then the buyers of boxed beef were getting raped with that going up over 35.00 from before the fire.... all the packers were saying there was going to be a shortage so the boxed beef buyers "needed to buy before there wasn't any". Well, they just about stopped buying after about 10 days, and the kill numbers were near what they were without the tyson plant and then it started to get really hot; and prices started to climb and magically have gotten back to where they were before the fire..... and Yes, Corbitt Wall has really been pushing that all the farmers/ranchers need to get together and start working together or our beef industry will go the way of the poultry and hogs. There was supposed to be a big get together in Omaha today, and I hope they had a great turnout and got some co-operation and maybe then we can stop some of this.
Realize, my son and I are "little guys" in so many ways. We have run up to 200 cows, down to about 150, and trying to figure out how to make some payments by the end of this year on current prices. We also get hit with transportation costs from this area. We are tired of working for nothing and barely making payments and rents and such before now. Now we are behind with the drop in feeder prices. We were seriously discussing some options on the way home from his therapy appt last night because he is getting discouraged and ready to just about say sell out and be done.
Our county has formed an assoc to try to see if we can't do some co-mingling and sell load lots. Trying to come up with some ways to make all of us a few more dollars on the feeders.
One of my dairy farmers has mostly registered cows; they were at Madison and heard the "talk" by Sonny Perdue. She said he has a pretty flippant "oh well, the small farmer is just going to have to quit" attitude. They were not at all impressed with him as sec of ag..... No real thoughts to trying to keep the small seedstock type farmer, the ones that have been the backbone of this country, in farming. Just get bigger or get out.... Seems that we heard enough of that from Earl Butz many years ago.
I could really get on my soapbox, but had better quit now because I am just getting mad and discouraged at the same time. Had another 120 cow dairy sell out last month and a 75 cow herd talking about it next year. A little 25 cow dairy said that they would be out this fall. She sold milk to a small cheese making plant, and did cow shares....quit shipping milk years ago. All registered Jerseys.... city is growing around her, finally just can't fight it anymore, and at 76 with her daughters not wanting anything to do with it....I CAN'T BLAME HER.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:08 pm

hornedfrogbbq wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:08 pm
Fat prices got smoked with the Tyson plant going down. Less processing capacity.

I have to say, I'm very bullish (pardon the pun). The African Swine Flu is devastating. Protein across the globe is being redirected to China. At some point, that HAS to have a positive effect for us.
Packers scheduled Saturday shifts and there was no major change in the number processed per week. So dropping fat prices so much was a scam.

Want to believe the bull ish thing. Question is how many years to resolve the numerous trade issues ?
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:13 pm

Get big or go home is a hard message to stomach.
Is there a more ideal herd size that fits well with your good pasture and cheap hay ?
Stocker Steve

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Post by pricefarm » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:46 pm

How can you get big if your making no money to begin with?

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:09 am

farmerjan wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:25 pm
Futures on fat prices had pretty much recovered to where they were before the Tyson fire. Sellers were just to the point of saying screw it to the packers and after some selling at 1.00 and a few below, down from over 1.10 before the fire, the rest just were holding. Then the buyers of boxed beef were getting raped with that going up over 35.00 from before the fire.... all the packers were saying there was going to be a shortage so the boxed beef buyers "needed to buy before there wasn't any". Well, they just about stopped buying after about 10 days, and the kill numbers were near what they were without the tyson plant and then it started to get really hot; and prices started to climb and magically have gotten back to where they were before the fire..... and Yes, Corbitt Wall has really been pushing that all the farmers/ranchers need to get together and start working together or our beef industry will go the way of the poultry and hogs. There was supposed to be a big get together in Omaha today, and I hope they had a great turnout and got some co-operation and maybe then we can stop some of this.
Realize, my son and I are "little guys" in so many ways. We have run up to 200 cows, down to about 150, and trying to figure out how to make some payments by the end of this year on current prices. We also get hit with transportation costs from this area. We are tired of working for nothing and barely making payments and rents and such before now. Now we are behind with the drop in feeder prices. We were seriously discussing some options on the way home from his therapy appt last night because he is getting discouraged and ready to just about say sell out and be done.
Our county has formed an assoc to try to see if we can't do some co-mingling and sell load lots. Trying to come up with some ways to make all of us a few more dollars on the feeders.
One of my dairy farmers has mostly registered cows; they were at Madison and heard the "talk" by Sonny Perdue. She said he has a pretty flippant "oh well, the small farmer is just going to have to quit" attitude. They were not at all impressed with him as sec of ag..... No real thoughts to trying to keep the small seedstock type farmer, the ones that have been the backbone of this country, in farming. Just get bigger or get out.... Seems that we heard enough of that from Earl Butz many years ago.
I could really get on my soapbox, but had better quit now because I am just getting mad and discouraged at the same time. Had another 120 cow dairy sell out last month and a 75 cow herd talking about it next year. A little 25 cow dairy said that they would be out this fall. She sold milk to a small cheese making plant, and did cow shares....quit shipping milk years ago. All registered Jerseys.... city is growing around her, finally just can't fight it anymore, and at 76 with her daughters not wanting anything to do with it....I CAN'T BLAME HER.
This is where I think if our local, state cattle associations would start to actually try to work towards helping small producers it could give them some credibility and give producers some hope. We need ways to market load lots and other options. They should remember that many small producers pay their dues or at least used to, and the overall growth of the associations is bound to be nonexistent and decreasing. The larger breed associations should also come out into the public arena and be vocal about the plight of the cattle industry. These many small producers that everyone seems to say oh well about account for a lot of collective money in communities.
My wife has been posting on her Facebook some of what cattle farmers are having to deal with. Most have no idea. As cattle producers we need to start being vocal, everyone else sure is to the point that a few sound and look like a lot.

shaz
GURU
GURU

Post by shaz » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:40 am

when people think of beef production they think of feedlots because that's what they see on TV with all the beef bashing. What they don't see is cattle grazing on belly high grass which is the norm. Another issue is that people do NOT understand is how sustainable pasture production is.

Why does my yard quit growing in Oct and my pasture in mid Dec?

If we don't educate the pubic we're going to continue the decline that started in the 70s'. Global warming and obesity have increased as the cattle population has gone down.
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin