cattle on feed report

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1503
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 643 times
Been thanked: 256 times

cattle on feed report

Post by snoopdog » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:53 pm

Well, it's out and obviously they are getting concerned, because everybody is holding, and lets put as much pressure as we can stand. If you have hay and grass, and don't need to make a payment, hold em, put em in their be nice place. Your cattle ain't gonna do nothing but get bigger, and closer to butcher weight.


Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14273
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 902 times
Been thanked: 863 times

Re: cattle on feed report

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:22 pm

I’m in.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8998
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: cattle on feed report

Post by kenny thomas » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:32 pm

Nobody holding here. Numbers are a fraction of what they were just a few years ago.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

jwimberly
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:32 am
Location: Northwest GA
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: cattle on feed report

Post by jwimberly » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:23 am

I'm game.

JParrott
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:11 pm
Location: South Central Missouri
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: cattle on feed report

Post by JParrott » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:43 pm

We're holding. Once they get to around ~900 though, they've gotta go - AND - there's some of them that'll get there sooner rather than later. There's so much grass they don't even eat all the time. They lay around, get up and eat a few bites, then lay back down. Some of these calves are the very definition of "fleshy".

User avatar
bird dog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: Navarro County, Texas
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: cattle on feed report

Post by bird dog » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:10 pm

In a lot of places, its difficult to get a fair price for calves over 750 if you just have a handful to sale. To many sale barn buyers only have orders for smaller animals.

User avatar
shaz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1609
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: Middle Tn
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: cattle on feed report

Post by shaz » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:57 am

I'm holding the entire calf crop.

Little worried though. I sold a couple of culls 5 weeks ago and the sale barn looked like a ghost town. This trend has been getting worse for years.
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2218
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY
Has thanked: 522 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Re: cattle on feed report

Post by Ky hills » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:27 pm

shaz wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:57 am
I'm holding the entire calf crop.

Little worried though. I sold a couple of culls 5 weeks ago and the sale barn looked like a ghost town. This trend has been getting worse for years.
That was the case around here a month or so ago, seems to be a little more activity recently though. I do think its less numbers than in years past for this time of year. As far as people at the sales that is definitely declined too. Was told that at a regional registered Angus sale a few weeks ago that it looked like a ghost town, years ago there was standing room only. We have been buying some bred cows and cow/calf pairs at stockyards, and last night at a monthly cow sale there was around 300 cows, and not many people sitting in the sales arena.

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7937
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: cattle on feed report

Post by Brute 23 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:03 pm

We are fortunate and got some good rain the last month. Any thing that is ready to be weaned I'm pulling off and putting on grass. Prices are the same here for a #400 or a #700 so it's going to be a weight game. Hopefully we will get a bump in prices before winter. I'm not going to feed them hay thru the winter. We have about 3 months before they are going one way or another.

I'm worried when we seen the slightest bump in prices every holding out is going to dump.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
shaz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1609
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: Middle Tn
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: cattle on feed report

Post by shaz » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:42 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:03 pm
We are fortunate and got some good rain the last month. Any thing that is ready to be weaned I'm pulling off and putting on grass. Prices are the same here for a #400 or a #700 so it's going to be a weight game. Hopefully we will get a bump in prices before winter. I'm not going to feed them hay thru the winter. We have about 3 months before they are going one way or another.

I'm worried when we seen the slightest bump in prices every holding out is going to dump.
I don't think you have much to worry about. I looked at the cattle on feed report and there is a slight decline but nothing major. The reporting period for Oct & Nov is the one I really want to see.
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4476
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Yantis, Texas
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 183 times

Re: cattle on feed report

Post by hurleyjd » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:10 am

shaz wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:42 pm
Brute 23 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:03 pm
We are fortunate and got some good rain the last month. Any thing that is ready to be weaned I'm pulling off and putting on grass. Prices are the same here for a #400 or a #700 so it's going to be a weight game. Hopefully we will get a bump in prices before winter. I'm not going to feed them hay thru the winter. We have about 3 months before they are going one way or another.

I'm worried when we seen the slightest bump in prices every holding out is going to dump.
I don't think you have much to worry about. I looked at the cattle on feed report and there is a slight decline but nothing major. The reporting period for Oct & Nov is the one I really want to see.
October, November and December is always a slow time for cattle sales. To many holidays in a row and people closing out the last quarter of the year and deferring profits until the next year.

User avatar
shaz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1609
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: Middle Tn
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: cattle on feed report

Post by shaz » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:28 am

It looked to me like feedlot inventory was highest at that time of year. If there is a 2-3% decline on peak volume that may be a sign of better things to come.
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7937
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: cattle on feed report

Post by Brute 23 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:52 pm

Where do yall look at those numbers? Is there a website by chance?
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 am
Location: ne texas
Has thanked: 82 times
Been thanked: 96 times

Re: cattle on feed report

Post by ccr » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:21 pm

brute, feeder flash with corbitt wall has a pretty good daily video on utube
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9201
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: cattle on feed report

Post by Stocker Steve » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:44 am

Plenty of cattle available, and soon we will be in National Dead Calf month.

Many backgrounders here are loading up with sugar beet shreds.

Longer term question is whether there are enough hogs and feeders to eat all the grain ? I think grain guys are in trouble once the Trump checks cease.
Stocker Steve

Post Reply