Disappointed

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
bird dog
GURU
GURU

Re: Disappointed

Post by bird dog » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:42 am

The joke is on you Cowgirl8. Burno doesn't have near the number of like kind calves to send to OKC. You though I don't know why you use the local barns. They don't sell 20,000 head up there a week between the two barns for nothing.

Listen to the cattle flash report in the other thread going on about cattle prices and see what he says about OKC West.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Post by cowgirl8 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:39 pm

I know someone a little closer than us, took calves to OK. Said it wasn't worth the hauling, chance of losing a calf.. Maybe he stalks this forum...lol..... We don't have that many calves.. if we have 300, they are 3 months different in age and half are heifers... We're better off taking calves that match in groups, over several months..
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:43 pm

What do you mean chance of losing a calf? You have way more than I do and a shorter drive and I find it feasible.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Post by cowgirl8 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:46 pm

bird dog wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:43 pm
What do you mean chance of losing a calf? You have way more than I do and a shorter drive and I find it feasible.
We'd have to wean, vaccinate. This happens around Oct, maybe Nov if the grass holds out. This is when cold fronts come though, rain, mud...blah blah.. We don't and will not build a barn to hold that many calves for weeks. So, you have newly weaned calves, sanding in cold rain and sometimes ice, knee deep mud...wind. You get them on feed and occasionally you get one that bloats.. Pneumonia.... injury....all in this weaning time table. Lose one, lose 2, have one injured, your profits go down.. Then, the trailer ride there. Its a long drive. Haul enough calves and you'll lose one occasionally. All this work, when, we can get our calves up, pick out a trailer load of calves in the same weight range...sell.. Do that a few times...done with it. Now, you say buyers come and just haul them to OK... that's fine, but they have to buy a bunch at the same weight and likeness and this is also work. They also take a risk of losing some.....so their numbers have to be way up there to make it worth what little extra they get by hauling them to OK..
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:37 pm

I understand I guess. Its not buyers that haul them. You do it on your own or hire out your own. And while it is best to have them preconditioned, they don't have to be and quite a few are not. Its a simple process, take them to the stockyards or OKC West, tell them what you have and what you done if anything. If they are fresh off the cow, tell them so. They will take them from there and sort them in whatever size groups that is needed to get you the best sales price. The stockyards uses commission companies, OKC West does it all in house.
Both pen them in their own pen with fresh water and good feed. Commission is by the head and runs about $20 to $27 per head, feed included. Pricing is usually about .10 to .15 a lb better than my local barns and your shrink will be 0 to 5% depending on how well they are eating versus 5 to 12% at your local barn.
For me the higher price easily pays the freight with the shrink difference,making it worth it. Commission is a few dollars a head cheaper depending on how early you take them before the sale.
Probably not enough $ for you to make a difference, but it is to me plus I have some pride in putting a good animal into the market that I feel the buyer will be happy with. To each his own I guess.