Selling Fall calves tomorrow!!!

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:32 am
Location: Texas Panhandle
Has thanked: 345 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Selling Fall calves tomorrow!!!

Post by Coosh71 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:41 pm

We have decided to haul our fall steer calves to sale barn tomorrow. Was going to keep them til fall this year, but the outlook for the fall here keeps getting more uncertain. The last 3 weeks here have ticked up and up. Weighed the steer Saturday and we were pleased with the weights. 40 Steer averaged 684#. We have had just the right amount of rain so our grass is as good as it's ever been. Hoping tomorrow will be at least as good as last week. Is there anyone else selling this week and how's to he markets elsewhere???????



User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8868
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Selling Fall calves tomorrow!!!

Post by kenny thomas » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:43 pm

Not selling but buying a hand full. Market is stale here.
Good luck, where are you selling?
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

User avatar
bird dog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1604
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: Navarro County, Texas
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Re: Selling Fall calves tomorrow!!!

Post by bird dog » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:34 pm

I hauled mine to OKC West on Sunday. I watched the sale at the National Stockyards this morning for a couple of hours until I got depressed. Prices were very weak. They were still selling when I got home so watched some of it on the Internet. Prices had firmed up but were still slightly lower than last week. This video down in the bottom right corner is a pretty good report of what I saw.

https://www.onsy.com/market-report/

One thing I noticed was how many poor looking calves were on the yard. It seems the quality is really down this year. Wet conditions may have something to do with it. The pens are muddy and a lot of the calves are too.

My heifers and steers both averaged right at 700 lbs when I weighed them before I left. They may sell tomorrow but probably on Wednesday. They are good long weaned calves but I'm not to optimistic. They are eating extremely well so at least they shouldn't shrink.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 573 times

Re: Selling Fall calves tomorrow!!!

Post by True Grit Farms » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:51 pm

Sold a couple steers Wednesday that averaged 640 lbs at $1.32 I was happy considering the prices. All our calves sold really good besides one. My thinking is, if the buyers can beat every seller out of a $100 dollars on one calf the buyers have done good. I really think the buyers take turns screwing the producers.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 311 times
Been thanked: 316 times

Re: Selling Fall calves tomorrow!!!

Post by gcreekrch » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:02 pm

Good cattle are easy to sell! Best of luck.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8868
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Selling Fall calves tomorrow!!!

Post by kenny thomas » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:06 pm

Coosh71 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:41 pm
We have decided to haul our fall steer calves to sale barn tomorrow. Was going to keep them til fall this year, but the outlook for the fall here keeps getting more uncertain. The last 3 weeks here have ticked up and up. Weighed the steer Saturday and we were pleased with the weights. 40 Steer averaged 684#. We have had just the right amount of rain so our grass is as good as it's ever been. Hoping tomorrow will be at least as good as last week. Is there anyone else selling this week and how's to he markets elsewhere???????
Im going to guess 1.35
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:32 am
Location: Texas Panhandle
Has thanked: 345 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: Selling Fall calves tomorrow!!!

Post by Coosh71 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:47 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:43 pm
Not selling but buying a hand full. Market is stale here.
Good luck, where are you selling?
Kenny, we are heading to Beaver livestock auction in Beaver, Ok. They have been ticking up last couple weeks so hope we can do better than when we were wanting to sell a month ago.

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8868
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Selling Fall calves tomorrow!!!

Post by kenny thomas » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:48 pm

Coosh71 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:47 pm
kenny thomas wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:43 pm
Not selling but buying a hand full. Market is stale here.
Good luck, where are you selling?
Kenny, we are heading to Beaver livestock auction in Beaver, Ok. They have been ticking up last couple weeks so hope we can do better than when we were wanting to sell a month ago.
Not familiar with that one, will look it up
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8868
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Selling Fall calves tomorrow!!!

Post by kenny thomas » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:53 pm

Looks like a pretty good haul? Is it better than Woodward?
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:32 am
Location: Texas Panhandle
Has thanked: 345 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: Selling Fall calves tomorrow!!!

Post by Coosh71 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:52 am

kenny thomas wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:53 pm
Looks like a pretty good haul? Is it better than Woodward?
They are comparable. Woodward is a little bigger sale, but we have always done as well in Beaver as some around here have done at Woodward.

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3974
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS
Has thanked: 587 times
Been thanked: 275 times

Re: Selling Fall calves tomorrow!!!

Post by TCRanch » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:08 am

600-700# steers averaged 1.30 - 1.49 here last Wednesday

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7857
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: Selling Fall calves tomorrow!!!

Post by Brute 23 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:57 am

Coosh71 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:41 pm
We have decided to haul our fall steer calves to sale barn tomorrow. Was going to keep them til fall this year, but the outlook for the fall here keeps getting more uncertain. The last 3 weeks here have ticked up and up. Weighed the steer Saturday and we were pleased with the weights. 40 Steer averaged 684#. We have had just the right amount of rain so our grass is as good as it's ever been. Hoping tomorrow will be at least as good as last week. Is there anyone else selling this week and how's to he markets elsewhere???????
I was debating the same thing. We were getting dry and I dont like to take chances. I would much rather sell early, keep the cows in good shape, beat the flush, and live to fight another day.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:32 am
Location: Texas Panhandle
Has thanked: 345 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: Selling Fall calves tomorrow!!!

Post by Coosh71 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:40 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:06 pm
Coosh71 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:41 pm
We have decided to haul our fall steer calves to sale barn tomorrow. Was going to keep them til fall this year, but the outlook for the fall here keeps getting more uncertain. The last 3 weeks here have ticked up and up. Weighed the steer Saturday and we were pleased with the weights. 40 Steer averaged 684#. We have had just the right amount of rain so our grass is as good as it's ever been. Hoping tomorrow will be at least as good as last week. Is there anyone else selling this week and how's to he markets elsewhere???????
Im going to guess 1.35
Kenny, sale barn scales had us at an avg of 676# (biggest group). They sold for $1.50/#. Real happy with that. This is way later in the year for us to sell fall born calves. Guy that bought them said they were best looking calves he had seen today. I'd agree lol.

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:32 am
Location: Texas Panhandle
Has thanked: 345 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: Selling Fall calves tomorrow!!!

Post by Coosh71 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:40 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:08 am
600-700# steers averaged 1.30 - 1.49 here last Wednesday
676#/$1.50/#

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 311 times
Been thanked: 316 times

Re: Selling Fall calves tomorrow!!!

Post by gcreekrch » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:57 pm

Coosh71 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:40 pm
kenny thomas wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:06 pm
Coosh71 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:41 pm
We have decided to haul our fall steer calves to sale barn tomorrow. Was going to keep them til fall this year, but the outlook for the fall here keeps getting more uncertain. The last 3 weeks here have ticked up and up. Weighed the steer Saturday and we were pleased with the weights. 40 Steer averaged 684#. We have had just the right amount of rain so our grass is as good as it's ever been. Hoping tomorrow will be at least as good as last week. Is there anyone else selling this week and how's to he markets elsewhere???????
Im going to guess 1.35
Kenny, sale barn scales had us at an avg of 676# (biggest group). They sold for $1.50/#. Real happy with that. This is way later in the year for us to sell fall born calves. Guy that bought them said they were best looking calves he had seen today. I'd agree lol.

Told you good cattle were easy to sell, only thing wrong with yours is you need more! Happy for you.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Post Reply