Weather Market for Corn & Feeders ?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Weather Market for Corn & Feeders ?

Post by Stocker Steve » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:46 am

The spring planting weather has really moved the corn prices up. Any silver lining here for calf producers?

Stocker Steve

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Weather Market for Corn & Feeders ?

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:51 am

China rushes in and begs to buy all our calves to offset their loss of pigs due to that African flu outbreak maybe?

Short of that things don’t look good.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:00 am

Could be a lot of cows going to town. Should I be buying cows on the dip? :cowboy:
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:29 am

[quote=TennesseeTuxedo
China rushes in and begs to buy all our calves to offset their loss of pigs due to that African flu outbreak maybe? [/quote]

I really like the idea of sweet and sour beef, but I think the Chinese don't want to deal with Trump so they will wait for the 2020 election.
Stocker Steve

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Coosh71 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:06 am

Yeah Steve, I'm afraid our government in all aspects is closed for business until after these next elections.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:42 am

The investors have dropped buying cattle futures and are buying corn now. Fall feeder futures are down to 1.36 from a high of 1.62 this spring. Sure doesn't look very good for feeding calves. High corn and cheap calves don't make me any profit.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:00 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:29 am
[quote=TennesseeTuxedo
China rushes in and begs to buy all our calves to offset their loss of pigs due to that African flu outbreak maybe?
I really like the idea of sweet and sour beef, but I think the Chinese don't want to deal with Trump so they will wait for the 2020 election.
[/quote]

He’s not going away.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Post by Aaron » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:56 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:00 am
Could be a lot of cows going to town. Should I be buying cows on the dip? :cowboy:
Are you going to have the feed for them? I would probably be buying dispersal breds this fall if I had the feed, but I think I will likely have to trim the cows myself to get by. I think this is going to be the year for dispersals.
cor durum laborem

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:30 am

My current cost per bushel to raise 80 bu/ac corn is 3.10ish. For sure going to keep all I raise if the price goes any higher. Maybe i'll make enough bushels to sell off my breakeven then my fed corn will be at $0/bu. If corn gets to $5 it maybe cheaper just to plant a small plot of corn to feed.
Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:26 pm

I think feeder cattle are going to be off this fall due to the flooding, lost corn in storage, and damaged/wet foelds that are delaying planting... if they get planted at all. It will keep corn/commodity prices higher. When corn is up, feeder prices are down. Might be a good year for us to keep them a little longer after weaning in the fall. Definitely thinking about keeping more heifers and maybe breeding if the fall prices are low. Tried to get my son to sell off everything that we could this spring, as far as feeder size goes, only have a couple of odd ones here. Pastures are above their bellies, and much of the grass is headed out already. Need to start bush hogging some to get it back in a more palatable state.
We have had a great start to haying so far. About 1/3 done already and all made pretty nice except one place got rain that bleached it out a bit and lowered quality. Normally we are fighting the weather trying to get anything done, and we had a really good streak where the rain went north and south of us with 10 drops 2 different times that didn't even slow us in the field. Everything down, is up in rolls already. Still got quite a bit to do, but feel really blessed to be this far ahead already. It might go all to the devil tomorrow, but we will deal with it. I'm hoping that the dry areas in Ga and Fl get some rain, and that some areas get a little less so they can begin to get things together.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:16 pm

Aaron wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:56 am
Stocker Steve wrote:
Are you going to have the feed for them? I would probably be buying dispersal breds this fall if I had the feed, but I think I will likely have to trim the cows myself to get by. I think this is going to be the year for dispersals.
I culled some big cows and sold a little hay this winter. So slightly understocked. Pasture is taking off now that we have had a couple days in the 70s. First crop hay will be decent, hard to know after that. I put a pencil to buying some cows now but it looked about breakeven. Grass fever is still going around.
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:58 pm

My opinion is make hay out of extra grass this summer and buy dirt cheap light calves this fall. They eat less hay during the winter. Graze off the spring flush and sell as heavier yearlings by July. My crystal ball and worth every cent it cost you...... :2cents:

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Post by Aaron » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:41 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:16 pm
Aaron wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:56 am
Stocker Steve wrote:
I culled some big cows and sold a little hay this winter. So slightly understocked. Pasture is taking off now that we have had a couple days in the 70s. First crop hay will be decent, hard to know after that. I put a pencil to buying some cows now but it looked about breakeven. Grass fever is still going around.
Everything very slow here. Need lots of heat to get everything going. People say fields need water, but I have some lowland fields that never have been dry since snow left and are well fertilized - growth is pathetic in them. Subsoil is saturated with moisture, but so many people only think about the two dry inches on top. Had hard freeze last night and light freeze night before.
cor durum laborem

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:05 pm

Weather guessers say cool and dry June along the Rainy. Dusty here the last couple days. Did not know what it was as first. ;-)
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:09 pm

Dave wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:58 pm
My opinion is make hay out of extra grass this summer and buy dirt cheap light calves this fall. They eat less hay during the winter. Graze off the spring flush and sell as heavier yearlings by July.
Sounds good.
I wonder how many 2019 stockers were pre sold before the prices starting dropping a couple weeks ago?
Stocker Steve