Cow turnover rate

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Cow turnover rate

Post by Brute 23 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:44 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:57 pm
Brute 23 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:03 pm
True Grit Farms wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:09 pm

Time to spend at the sale barn is the problem most folks have. I can call either of the two sale barns I use and they'll know if any and how many "back to the farm cattle" will be available to buy. The more bidders the more the stockyards make. And most of the stockyards the owner - manager will buy cattle for you, you'll pay a little more but is worth it. All you have to do is swing by and pay and pick up your cows.
Would you trust the owner/ manager to bid against his regulars to buy a handful of cattle for some random person that called him up?
I do but we've done business together for a while now. If I was a greenhorn I'd go an introduce myself to the owner face to face, an tell him what I was looking for. When your just starting out a sale barn is not a bad place to buy GOOD cows from. There's always a veterinarian preg and bangs checking before every sale. And the owner - manager knows if your treated right you'll come back and do business with him in the future.
You must have some really good barns. I would not expect that out of ours. I'd expect more like the post above. I couldn't imagine getting a very good result paying some one else to buy in low volume like that. Most our barns, I imagine, would direct you to one of the special cow sales they put on. It would surprise me if they would even buy less than 10 or 15 for some one unless you were already doing a bunch of business with them.

Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:25 pm

To echo what True Grit said, maybe we do have a unique situation and may take it for granted, but both of the barns he is referring to are good. I wouldn’t hesitate to ask either of the owners to buy for me. They have been in business a long time and haven’t been successful by cheating customers. And they both know cows. Granted, I have also known both personally for many years, but I think they’d do just as good for a complete stranger. Payment arrangements may be different for someone they don’t know, but I’ve actually mailed them both a check several days after I already had the cattle. It’s a beneficial relationship to have for sure.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:13 pm

We have four barns within an 80 mile radius and unless you hit a herd sellout it may take 2-3 months to get a sure enough good set of 10-12 cows bought for the money you expect to pay at salebarn. We do have several big cattle ranchers that hit the sales pretty hard a few times a year though and buy up the best cattle like money is no object. I’ve bought several head through the salebarn and have had mixed results them. Sometimes a cow doesn’t perform well because of poor management and sometimes she’s just a dud, problem is you have about 1 minute to figure that out. The other problem with salebarn cattle is diseases they can pick up while there. This is really a concern if you buy pairs. I’m definitely not an expert but one thing I know for sure is this, I’ve never sent a cow to the salebarn I wanted to keep in my herd. That’s not to say that some folks worst cow is better than my best cow though.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:41 am

If the owner is buying for himself, for others and for you do you really think there is a lack of bias? I understand the value of buying from a herd dispersal if you know something about the herd. What some do is just bring in a group and say "herd dispersal". My grandfather used to say, "Years ago men were men and they robbed you with a gun. Now they rob you with a pencil." Buyer beware.

There is a funny deal going on in some barns here with a calf or two per group selling way off ($1+). I have talked with others who had the same thing and there are excuses for it but not good excuses. I think it is a good enough omen to quit those barns and hope that the greed does not spread to other barns. But that is more the auctioneer in question.

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:08 am

I’m gonna say allot of shady stuff goes on at salebarn. Order buyers making deals and barn owners or auctioneers that have allot of cattle can pull some tricks on you. Overall I think most of the deals are on the up and up but I always wonder when 1 or 2 bring less than the others and I know they were pretty well the same when unloaded.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:49 am

After 28 years of dealing with the same sale barn, I do have a pretty good relationship with the auctioneer... Never bought a cow through there but once I needed a bull in a hurry to replace one with a broken penis.. He sold me a bull from his own ranch, the one in my profile pic at a fair price and he was a great bull.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:48 pm

I sell a few cows or bulls at 2 local barns every year. One of them I always feel I was robbed the other I generally do good at and am overall happy with them. It boils down to the owners. I had some culls a few weeks ago that got loaded in a hurry and the barn owner let me use the load out pens and 2 guys to sort through them and make sure I wasn’t selling a wet cow. There ended up being a good young cow I wanted to keep in the bunch. I doubt I’ll ever sell anything other than a stray or chronic calf at a local barn though. Definitely better markets out there.