HOT

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

HOT

Post by skyhightree1 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:54 pm

I text a few members pics of my ticket where I sold one cow that had an go to town and lose her mind episode and the barnyard writes hot on those tickets which in turn they put in a special pen so buyers know which ones are a lil crazy causes the seller to loose pretty good on the animal. Does anyone elses barn do this? It was blackstone market not Lynchburg.

Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: HOT

Post by TCRanch » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:08 pm

How'd she do? And no, our sale barn quickly runs 'em through the ring. Amazingly, someone always buys them ;-)

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:00 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:08 pm
How'd she do? And no, our sale barn quickly runs 'em through the ring. Amazingly, someone always buys them ;-)
:lol: I will get the check tomorrow probably and let you know. I looked at sale report can be .38 lb to .60lb probably .38
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:47 pm

Been to lots of sales but never seen a cow marked hot. Hogs yes. Sounds like you need to pass that market by next time.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:18 pm

Our local market will just say, "watch her" as she comes in the ring and they will send her right out the door and tell the guys in the alleys to "watch her". Same with bulls that tend to be aggressive; in and out the door....Sometimes they will run a wild one in the door with another, and designate which one they are selling... often run a bull in with a cull cow if he is being stupid.

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Post by BRYANT » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:36 pm

never seen them mark them ''hot'' at the sales I go to. I have seen them so mean that they drove/pushed them it to the ring with a skid loader. If they are killer cows meanness never seams to hurt the price these big sales has buyers there that could care less if they are mean. I have seen a lot of times they will say ''get a look as she comes through'' and they will never let them stop in the ring but even then the kill buyers don't seem the care. Now cattle going back to the farm that's a different story.
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:13 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:47 pm
Been to lots of sales but never seen a cow marked hot. Hogs yes. Sounds like you need to pass that market by next time.
For sure I hate selling at Blackstone but only had her to sell and it's 45 mins away vs 2 hours to Lynchburg

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:18 pm

BRYANT wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:36 pm
never seen them mark them ''hot'' at the sales I go to. I have seen them so mean that they drove/pushed them it to the ring with a skid loader. If they are killer cows meanness never seams to hurt the price these big sales has buyers there that could care less if they are mean. I have seen a lot of times they will say ''get a look as she comes through'' and they will never let them stop in the ring but even then the kill buyers don't seem the care. Now cattle going back to the farm that's a different story.
Same here.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:25 pm

Sat at the sale Friday and steer prices have taken a $.20 jump or more. Most smaller steers, 350 to 500 were in the $1.50 to $1.65 and some nice ones hit $1.78. 2 weeks ago they were in the $1.30 to $1.50, $1.60 if they were REAL nice. Heifers till in the $1.10 to $1.35. Bigger steers were less than small compared to a month ago when they were running .10 to .30 MORE than the small stuff. Think people are starting to get "grass fever" since we had a week of sun and temps a little better. Longer days also gets people thinking spring.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:48 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:47 pm
"Hot" pigs are fun pigs, especially if you are the receiver of said pigs. :banana:
So they hanged Haman on the gallows that he had prepared for Mordecai...
Esther 7:10

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:20 am

Our barn doesn't, usually it's pretty evident!
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Post by Aaron » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:29 am

Barn writes 'Heads Up' on slip for those working in the back. That's all. Kill buyers could care less how much a hot head a cow is, she is dead within 48 hours in most cases. And if a person is dumb enough to buy something like that to calve out, they deserve what they get.
cor durum laborem

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:19 am

Neighbor likes to buy hot breds at kill prices. Some are just mismanaged. For the majority - - he hides in a metal cage attached to his skid steer while cutting the new calves.
Stocker Steve

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:51 pm

'Looka heah..This one has plenty of energy folks..'
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

MO-Ruminants
Beginner
Beginner

Post by MO-Ruminants » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:13 pm

Reminds me of James Herriot's farmer client, after James had been kicked in the chest by a dairy cow.

In between great laughing tears, the farmer said "I forgot to tell you, that one always likes to shake hands!"