Regional Bred Heifer Markets ?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Regional Bred Heifer Markets ?

Post by Stocker Steve » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:06 pm

It appears that there are consistently higher bred heifer prices in areas where there are more full time producers. It appears in areas with a lot of smaller producers who work out - - that there is a reluctance to pay up for bred heifers when you can not be there to assist, but there is a willingness to pay up for aged cows coming off short pasture in another state. :cboy:

Have you seen this? Have the internet video sales increased bred heifer and cow migrations in recent years?

Stocker Steve

Midtenn
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Regional Bred Heifer Markets ?

Post by Midtenn » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:36 pm

No. Been seeing just the opposite. Real good 6 yr to full mouth heavy breds are bringing 700-900 here. Real good heavy bred heifers bringing $1200-1400. This is at sales where I'd guess 90% customers are part time with 20-30 cows. I cant figure why. But I'm thinking those same heifers would have been 800-1000 six weeks ago if memory serves me. Cows have been about the same since November but heifers have gone up big time.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:22 pm

I would call $1500 to $1800 a higher commercial bred heifer markets currently.
I would call $1100 to $1400 a lower commercial bred heifer markets currently.
So you can sometimes afford to truck pot loads from lower markets to higher markets.
Stocker Steve

Midtenn
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Midtenn » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:46 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:22 pm
I would call $1500 to $1800 a higher commercial bred heifer markets currently.
I would call $1100 to $1400 a lower commercial bred heifer markets currently.
So you can sometimes afford to truck pot loads from lower markets to higher markets.
Agreed on that. Just not seeing where part timers here want to buy older cows at all.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:14 am

Seems to be all about salvage value. The bigger the old cow the better.
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:05 am

When buying old cows salvage value is an important part of the equation. Cows that appear too old to put on or hold body condition and small cows need to be discounted.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Post by Aaron » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:23 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:06 pm
It appears that there are consistently higher bred heifer prices in areas where there are more full time producers. It appears in areas with a lot of smaller producers who work out - - that there is a reluctance to pay up for bred heifers when you can not be there to assist, but there is a willingness to pay up for aged cows coming off short pasture in another state. :cboy:

Have you seen this? Have the internet video sales increased bred heifer and cow migrations in recent years?
Obviously you have ample feed supplies in the area for people to actually be bidding on cattle of any kind. Shyt seemed to hit the fan this week in terms of feed shortage. Everyone coming out of the woodwork looking for hay - cattle guys, horsie people, sheep/llama/goat people. Price and distance is no concern. Cousin had hay stored in shed, thought about asking him about it - he put ad in paper and hay was sold in couple hours. Neighbor phoned me looking for hay, I never asked how much he needed. Turns out he needs 500 bales, which most of us locals agree there isn't that much surplus hay total in a 50 mile radius. I think I will be ok. Have started counting some stacks and should count rest today - think I have well over 1/2 left from what I had on Nov 4th.
cor durum laborem

NEFarmwife
Rancher
Rancher

Post by NEFarmwife » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:30 am

We took 14 bred heifers to sale barn last week. Brought $1325/hd. We weren't fans of their them and wanted to test the market.

Just 5 months ago, sold some of same group for $1900/hd. As others start calving, I think we'll see some better prices. But I tend to be slightly optimistic.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Previous local hay auction results were cow hay $110-150 / T and dairy hay $185-225/T. Apparently some of this hay is being trucked out of state at $4/mile. Must be for goats and horses?

Ordered beet tailings and beet pulp last week. Not cheap at about U$S 18/T, but still a a lot less per lb TDN than hay.

Back calculated some bred values based on last fall hay pricing. Afraid to do it with these recent prices.

Asked a local auctioneer what to expect at the bred sales in February and March. He struggled for a moment, but then came back with an encouraging word... ;-) I think there will be a lot of breds being sold by the pound. Cows with some condition are at 50 to 55 cents. Bred heifers will go to SD.

Saw an interesting for sale ad last week. Bred heifers and hay as a package deal. :cowboy: Cowboy with a sharp pencil could cull a couple big old summer calving cows and sell a little hay ?
Stocker Steve

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Post by talltimber » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:43 pm

Went to a good little local breeding stock sale yesterday. I bought a few at this sale last year, with outstanding luck with the hfrs. We went for a little relaxation/curiosity/visitation/elbow rubbing trip, did not bid but had some picked out "just in case".
Good black verified 3n1, 3 yo 250 pound calves or so on them, went from about 28-3100
Good black bred hfr in 3rd stage went about 16-1900
I overheard some grumbling from some on them that the calves must be worth 1000. I think they should be tickled to get 3k, instead of disappointed in the bred hfr prices. 3n1's were a little high I thought. These mostly were purebreds, I don't think any were registered.
There was a lot more cattle coming, but they sold the cream first. If a guy had the hay, room, and knowledge I bet he could have made some money yesterday once the thin pairs started selling.

Midtenn
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Midtenn » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Two year olds with baby calves bringing 14-1600 here. I can't go that route. These are great looking right size mostly bwf. But still if I don't know the genetics, how her dam did, who the daddy, etc. , I'm not spending that wondering if she's gonna breed back.

NEFarmwife
Rancher
Rancher

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:38 am

We sold another group of bred heifers at sale on Monday that got $1775. We've been selling in small groups to test market.

Which evoked chatter and now have 3 men who've basically purchased the last of our bred heifers AND ones that have calved out a little early (only 7 of them)... We'll have gotten $1900 avg for remaining. All should be gone today.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Found some 2 year old grass 4x5s for U$S 25 per bale. Will try feeding them to the bred heifers tonight.

How do heavy bred heifers vs. heifers with baby calves sell in your area?
Stocker Steve

Midtenn
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Midtenn » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:13 pm

I'd say 200-300 difference here in heavy bred to pairs. It sounds like heifers (and decent cows) are a lot higher everywhere than what they are here. We raise quite a few f1 and 3 way cross heifers each year, more than we can keep. Thinking I may néed to ship north or west.

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Post by elkwc » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:23 am

There was some very nice first calf Angus/Hereford baldie pairs bring 2550 here this week.All the rest 2250 down. Hereford/Angus baldies usually top the market here. 2 y/o pairs are moving at 2,000-2,250 around here.

On another note saw some good Hereford heifers sell for 1 dollar less than the top black replacements and higher than the top black feeder heifers. Been several years since I've seen them that close. Again the Hereford/Angus baldies topped the replacement market.