Sale Barn Prices

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Sale Barn Prices

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:31 pm

Tigers always bring good money
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Somebody had a bad day at the sale barn.
They brought in a group of 5 Black bred heifers. The sale barn vet preg checked 1 open the rest pg 4 months.

The 950 lb black bred heifers sold for $875 (92.10 lb)
the open 1 sold as a feeder heifer... 890 lbs @ 1.25 = $1,112
$237 hd more than her pg sisters
Last edited by Son of Butch on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:27 pm

Just finished sorting cows and have 15 head in the cull pen. One for the butcher and 14 for the bred cow sale. Think I will clear enough for a new pick up? :cowboy:
Last edited by Stocker Steve on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Son of Butch wrote:The 950 lb black bred heifers sold for $875 (92.10 lb)

Any quality?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Looked decent or at least no glaring faults.
I was a little surprised the single feeder heifer went over $1,100
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:42 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:Just finished sorting cows and have 15 head in the cull pen. One for the butcher and 14 for the bred cow sale.
Think I will clear enough for a new pick up? :cowboy:

I'm sure yours will bring about $1795 hd :)
Which barn will you be going to?
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:55 pm

Black Friday sale in Perham.
It is the first big bred sale of the year here.
Local prices often go down a bit after a couple sales. I am willing to settle for only $1500/hd. :nod:
0 x
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:11 am

Went to the sale yesterday. Kill cows were up a nickle. Two weeks ago it took a mighty good cow to break 60 cents. yesterday there were lots of cows over 60 cents and some over 65. Feeder cattle were strong but I didn't stay for them two weeks ago so I don't know how the market moved.
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:42 pm

It seems to me that the sale barn is a good place to sell feeder cattle but not as good for other cattle such as bred cows and bulls. Am I correct about this?
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:44 pm

Depends on the barn, but all in all sale barns can be very good places to sell for a variety of reasons.
Many host dispersal sales and or hold large well advertised special sales for bred cattle and breeding bulls that bring
a large number of buyers and sellers together.

Many seller complaints stem from those with unrealistic expectations as to the value and demand for the quality of
the cattle they are bringing to sell. As for unrealistic expectations just checkout asking prices on craigslist and you
can find the same asking price for good quality and lesser quality or for cattle that have limited appeal or demand.
1 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:54 am

Son of Butch wrote:Depends on the barn, but all in all sale barns can be very good places to sell for a variety of reasons.
Many host dispersal sales and or hold large well advertised special sales for bred cattle and breeding bulls that bring
a large number of buyers and sellers together.

Many seller complaints stem from those with unrealistic expectations as to the value and demand for the quality of
the cattle they are bringing to sell. As for unrealistic expectations just checkout asking prices on craigslist and you
can find the same asking price for good quality and lesser quality or for cattle that have limited appeal or demand.

Ouch..... :lol2:
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:05 am

Its not very often we hear, oh my calves weren't very good but they brought lots more than they were worth.
Sometimes you need to know what you raise.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:43 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Its not very often we hear, oh my calves weren't very good but they brought lots more than they were worth.

Yes, most people think their cattle are wonderful and deserve top dollar. Many people are not realistic.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:13 am

kenny thomas wrote:Its not very often we hear, oh my calves weren't very good but they brought lots more than they were worth.

I have said that in a round about way. But it was to show the difference in two different sales. A few years back I sold a load of calves at one sale. The light end of the steers brought $1.34. The next day at a sale much closer to home steers the same size as my that I thought were better calves were bought by the same buyer who bought mine. They brought $1.03. Different market brought a lower price but I sure thought those calves were better than my. Comparing his calves to my I got more than mine were worth. Or he took a beating because of where he sold.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:41 am

We retained most of our heifers. Did not want to give them away at a sale barn. We'll sell in groups next year. We did this last year and it was pretty easy and got 850 a head.....Our heifers are much better this year because of so much grass....so, fingers crossed its just as easy as last time to sell.....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Return to “Cattle Sales”