Best of the best.

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Best of the best.

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:20 pm

Aaron wrote:Neighbor took his calves to town and received the acclamation of highest priced group of 6-weight steers in all of Canada for this week. 616 lbs avg Steers pre vac $2.5275 (works out to $1220 US per head)

U$S 198 cwt seems really high.
Maybe we should be shipping calves north, rather than south, for the winter.
What do you think was the reason for a record price?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:54 pm

Nesikep wrote:I'm on the east side of the coast mountains.. not the rockies though.. I thought you were around Williams lake?

So did I!
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:00 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:Those fellows in the front row seem too intent on feeding their faces than buying cattle.Ken

Seems like a dangerous place to eat. All it takes is one good tail whip and there goes your food.

It is deceiving from the photo but the buyer row is about a good 2 feet higher than the backs of those calves. Only time a problem arise is when a 'loose' cow coughs or when a testy bull raises his head and blows his nose into your coffee. :D
1 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Aaron wrote:Neighbor took his calves to town and received the acclamation of highest priced group of 6-weight steers in all of Canada for this week. 616 lbs avg Steers pre vac $2.5275 (works out to $1220 US per head)

U$S 198 cwt seems really high.
Maybe we should be shipping calves north, rather than south, for the winter.
What do you think was the reason for a record price?

The Eastern feedlots tell us the best calves in the country are from here. Genetics are the same as Western cattle, but being so isolated means we don't sell sickly trader cattle. There was even an article in the provincial beef magazine where the biggest feedlot in Ontario said our calves are the best and worth a premium over Western calves.

Many of the feeder cattle here are sold with specially branded 'Rainy River Raised' tags and we hear from feedlots on a regular basis that the calves with those tags were the best pen they had on feed, etc.
0 x

Silver
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Silver » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:12 pm

Nesikep wrote:I'm on the east side of the coast mountains.. not the rockies though.. I thought you were around Williams lake?

No, me and Santa are neighbours up here in Peace River country :D
1 x

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:51 am

Aaron, those calves are nice. I was talking to the NC State extension agent here and he was saying in my area the average weaned calf is 500-550 lbs. My calves fall right into that range. Am I correct that northern cattle surely are bigger than southern? Is it the same as wild animals, for instance a large bodied deer here would be 120 lbs or so...but I see bucks up north weighing a hundred or so pounds more? Anyway, I'm glad you guys have such good cattle...more pics!

Tim
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:35 am

Genetics in general seem to be better up here as a whole and yes the cattle larger. My 205 day weights avg 630-650 usually each year.

Weighed a couple bucks last weekend, field dressed @ around 210. Good solid bucks, but not monsters. Although racks seem to be larger down south.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:53 am

Supa Dexta wrote:Genetics in general seem to be better up here as a whole....
Although racks seem to be larger down south.

Don't be deceived, for example in California they're mostly silicone.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:14 am

Silver wrote:

No, me and Santa are neighbours up here in Peace River country :D

ah... Would you be able to hop on over next door and check on Tamarack for me? Haven't heard from him in a long time.
2 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Silver
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Silver » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:12 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:Genetics in general seem to be better up here as a whole and yes the cattle larger. My 205 day weights avg 630-650 usually each year.

While I tend to agree that northern cattle tend to be larger and wean larger, I still believe it takes good management to achieve those weaning weights, and you should be congratulated for achieving them.
3 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:26 am

Aaron wrote:Walking through the sales pens, for every 5 calves here, 2 are Char cross, 1 is Hereford, 1 is Simm cross, and 1 is Red or Black Angus. It's like the 80's all over again - even Shorthorns are slowly coming back.

Black is still beautiful here. A small uptick in reds, but it is hard to find red bulls.
Less stein cross than there was 15 years ago. :nod: Used to be buying a black bull was a common dairy retirement program.
Angus x Simi for the mad scientists, but only BA x BA for the true believers and the crowd followers.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:28 am

Supa Dexta wrote:My 205 day weights avg 630-650 usually each year.

Mine weigh about :cowboy: the same after I sort off a load of throw back funnel butts.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Cattle Sales”