Dirt cheap

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
RentedMule
Beginner
Beginner

Dirt cheap

Postby RentedMule » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:56 am

I've never taken any cattle to the sale barn because we sell privately, but a buddy of mine works their and said prices are doing pretty good so why not venture out. So this past saturday I decided to get rid of our steer and my red angus heifer.This is at a sale barn in Texas just fyi. The steer was 3 years old weighed in at 1435lbs. Red angus heifer was around a little over a year and weighed in at 575lbs. Got the check in the mail and could not be more disappointed with the results. The red angus sold for a whopping .60 cents per pound and steer for .70 cents per pound. thats $1004.50 for steer and $345 for heifer. All that being said, I would like some knowledge and opinions about these prices. I think they're absolute be nice and probably will never go back to that sale barn but just wanted to get opinions as the is my first time selling there. No point in being to angry cause it's life and life goes on, but still a little sour.
0 x
Some folks look at me and see a certain swagger, which in Texas is called ‘walking.’– George W. Bush

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Dirt cheap

Postby dun » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Seems pretty low to me too. We hauled a couple to the sale barn last week. A weaned 575 red angus heifer and got 1.29 and a 1200 3 year old red angus heifer and got .93.
Ask your friend what the reason was for the crappy prices
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Those prices are terrible, longhorn cattle sell higher than that. I'd go to the owner of the barn and ask him what he thinks and why. That's how you learn.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:51 pm

Welcome to the forum. It's hard to say without seeing the cattle. I agree that sounds low, but I'd think a year-old heifer would have weighed more too, so don't take this personally but the buyers might have thought that your cattle weren't top quality.
You could talk to the folks at the barn, but unless they remember your two head they might not be able to tell you anything.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:54 pm

Both sound like packer cow prices to me. They sell Monday?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:22 pm

Rafter S wrote:Welcome to the forum. It's hard to say without seeing the cattle. I agree that sounds low, but I'd think a year-old heifer would have weighed more too, so don't take this personally but the buyers might have thought that your cattle weren't top quality.

My first thought as well. Those prices are off enough that there was a reason none of the buyers bid any higher.
0 x

RentedMule
Beginner
Beginner

Postby RentedMule » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:30 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:Both sound like packer cow prices to me. They sell Monday?

Sold Saturday is what I heard
0 x
Some folks look at me and see a certain swagger, which in Texas is called ‘walking.’– George W. Bush

RentedMule
Beginner
Beginner

Postby RentedMule » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:51 pm

Rafter S wrote:Welcome to the forum. It's hard to say without seeing the cattle. I agree that sounds low, but I'd think a year-old heifer would have weighed more too, so don't take this personally but the buyers might have thought that your cattle weren't top quality.
You could talk to the folks at the barn, but unless they remember your two head they might not be able to tell you anything.

"first off, thank you. By no means was she top quality. I bought her from a guy and thought Id keep her around for a little and make some money.I know that what they see is different then what I see. I found a pic of her about 6 months ago..I appreciate all the feedback because learning always helps.Image
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:46 pm

RentedMule wrote:

"first off, thank you. By no means was she top quality. I bought her from a guy and thought Id keep her around for a little and make some money.I know that what they see is different then what I see. I found a pic of her about 6 months ago..I appreciate all the feedback because learning always helps.Image

Again, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, but now I can see why she didn't bring much.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:58 pm

RentedMule wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:Both sound like packer cow prices to me. They sell Monday?

Sold Saturday is what I heard

You heard? OK did you drop them off the day before you heard they were going to sale and pay yardage fees?
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:40 am

RentedMule wrote:

Is it me or is that a tiny cow or a giant fence?
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:51 am

A month ago or so we sold a heifer that was way worse looking than her for $1.02lb. My son bought her really cheap and still double his money. This may surprise some on this board, but the order buyers know exactly what their buying 99% of the time. IMO this person got taken advantage of. The bottom line is, watch your cattle sell or hope for the best.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:09 am

True Grit Farms wrote:A month ago or so we sold a heifer that was way worse looking than her for $1.02lb. My son bought her really cheap and still double his money. This may surprise some on this board, but the order buyers know exactly what their buying 99% of the time. IMO this person got taken advantage of. The bottom line is, watch your cattle sell or hope for the best.

you nailed it....
no one at the sale yard knew the seller and it was an opportunity to make some money at his expense....
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:10 am

Sale barns must operate different around here. Buyers rarely know who owns the cattle that come through the ring, and they sell for what they're worth.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:26 am

M.Magis wrote:Sale barns must operate different around here. Buyers rarely know who owns the cattle that come through the ring, and they sell for what they're worth.

Same here.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”