bred cow sale

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Post Reply
Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8781
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon
Been thanked: 889 times

bred cow sale

Post by Dave » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:34 am

They had a bred cow sale yesterday in La Grande. 900 head of cows. They sold the majority in bunches. They would run 20-30 cows in the ring and say if you buy them you have the option to take X number of their sisters that are following. The biggest bunch sold was 80 head of 3 & 4 year old cows bred 7 & 8 months. They brought $1,475. The highest price was 32 head of 3 & 4 year olds that sold for $1,510. The kill buyers bought pretty much all of the 3 & 4 month bred cows and some of the 5 month bred cows. Good news is they were paying $0.58 to $0.66 a pound for them. So the kill market is starting to climb. I was buying older one and done broken mouth cows. I got 12 bought. They averaged over 1,200 pounds and I paid $801 average. Works out to about the middle of what kill buyers were paying. Nine of them pregged 8 months, one at 7 months, and two strong Char cows at 6 months bred. They should work.



User avatar
ccr
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 am
Location: ne texas
Has thanked: 267 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: bred cow sale

Post by ccr » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:35 pm

Dave, is your plan to sell the cows after calving to kill buyers, then keep calves until ~800# then sell them?
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8781
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon
Been thanked: 889 times

Re: bred cow sale

Post by Dave » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:42 pm

ccr wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:35 pm
Dave, is your plan to sell the cows after calving to kill buyers, then keep calves until ~800# then sell them?
The plan is to sell the cows when grass runs short (August ?). The calves will depend on their size come October. Under 500 pounds will get held over. Much over that will get moved earlier. The hold over calves we have now are contracted to a feedlot for 900 pounds the first week or so of August. There is a couple younger cows in the mix. Their future will be directly related to how good of a job of raising a calf.
We ran cows of neighbors B's son, his hired man, and my cows through the chute today. My were in the middle as far and cost. There were a couple of the son's cows that you can see why they were at the sale (they were the most expensive). There were a couple of the hired man's cows that I sure wouldn't want to gamble on (they were the cheapest). Neighbor B said of the 3 bunches he liked mine the best.

Stocker Steve
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10170
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota
Has thanked: 253 times
Been thanked: 341 times

Re: bred cow sale

Post by Stocker Steve » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:32 pm

Strong sale here too. Kill cows are up 15 cents, and good breds are up $375, in 60 days.

Guys feeding cows should do really well.
Stocker Steve

elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1439
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm
Has thanked: 700 times
Been thanked: 114 times

Re: bred cow sale

Post by elkwc » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:16 am

Killer cows are up her. Slaughter bulls have really went up.

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8781
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon
Been thanked: 889 times

Re: bred cow sale

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:42 pm

Picked up 6 more cows today. About 150 pounds lighter but $70 a head cheaper. All 7 or 8 months bred. The heavy 4 and 5 month breds got sold by the pound. 60 to 64 cents to the kill buyers.

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 616 times
Been thanked: 702 times

Re: bred cow sale

Post by gcreekrch » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:08 pm

Sale at Kamloops BC on Tuesday topped $2150 for some reputation February calving heifers

Yours truly ended up with 28 mid age cows that will mostly be calving in late March. They cost $1440 at the yards. Sent them to my kid’s place to eat his extra hay and keep him busy once the road restrictions come on and he is done hauling our hay.
Plan is to sell as pairs in May, have the grass if that plan isn’t profitable.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Stocker Steve
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10170
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota
Has thanked: 253 times
Been thanked: 341 times

Re: bred cow sale

Post by Stocker Steve » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:18 pm

We did not have enough cow buyers here in Nov and Dec. If you stayed at the bigger sales, you could buy alot of running age breds for 44 to 50 cents per pound.

Now cow prices are way up. Weather is a bit better, but what else has turned this bred market around? Seems like folks are now over paying for breds.
Stocker Steve

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9995
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 752 times

Re: bred cow sale

Post by kenny thomas » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:40 pm

Still very cheap here. Not much over slaughter
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 616 times
Been thanked: 702 times

Re: bred cow sale

Post by gcreekrch » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:18 pm

Too bad there hadn't been more of them...… Auctioneer goofed up and announce the 5 and 6 year old Hereford cows as 8s and up. No one including the owner corrected him. 9 non Hereford cows came from another dispersal.

Image

Image

Image

Image


Image
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5166
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia
Has thanked: 724 times
Been thanked: 606 times

Re: bred cow sale

Post by wbvs58 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:58 am

gcreekrch wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:18 pm
Too bad there hadn't been more of them...… Auctioneer goofed up and announce the 5 and 6 year old Hereford cows as 8s and up. No one including the owner corrected him. 9 non Hereford cows came from another dispersal.

Image

Image

Image

Image


Image
And you were ready to pounce. Nice one Dave.

Ken

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 616 times
Been thanked: 702 times

Re: bred cow sale

Post by gcreekrch » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:23 am

I have a good friend who is western Canada’s largest order buyer. He looks after me well.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8781
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon
Been thanked: 889 times

Re: bred cow sale

Post by Dave » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:22 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:08 pm
Sale at Kamloops BC on Tuesday topped $2150 for some reputation February calving heifers

Yours truly ended up with 28 mid age cows that will mostly be calving in late March. They cost $1440 at the yards. Sent them to my kid’s place to eat his extra hay and keep him busy once the road restrictions come on and he is done hauling our hay.
Plan is to sell as pairs in May, have the grass if that plan isn’t profitable.
Is the exchange rate still about .73? If that is right then those top cows are about what top cows are running here. And those mid age cows you got would be a bargain here. Mid age cows are running about $1,200 here.
I only got one bought yesterday. There was a dispersal of about 70-80 cows. But they were heavy enough that it kept the price up $100 or more on the broken mouth cows I am buying. Hauled one big fat open cow in for a neighbor and one older bred cow home for me. Pretty easy fast trip down the freeway both ways.

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 616 times
Been thanked: 702 times

Re: bred cow sale

Post by gcreekrch » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:47 pm

Dave wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:22 pm
gcreekrch wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:08 pm
Sale at Kamloops BC on Tuesday topped $2150 for some reputation February calving heifers

Yours truly ended up with 28 mid age cows that will mostly be calving in late March. They cost $1440 at the yards. Sent them to my kid’s place to eat his extra hay and keep him busy once the road restrictions come on and he is done hauling our hay.
Plan is to sell as pairs in May, have the grass if that plan isn’t profitable.
Is the exchange rate still about .73? If that is right then those top cows are about what top cows are running here. And those mid age cows you got would be a bargain here. Mid age cows are running about $1,200 here.
I only got one bought yesterday. There was a dispersal of about 70-80 cows. But they were heavy enough that it kept the price up $100 or more on the broken mouth cows I am buying. Hauled one big fat open cow in for a neighbor and one older bred cow home for me. Pretty easy fast trip down the freeway both ways.
Dollar has been between .75 and .76 for some time now so yes, very similar.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Post Reply