Bred cow sale

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Bred cow sale

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:33 am

J&D Cattle wrote:Different salebarn or just a different guy mouthing them?

Both.

Could be the selling barn is not reliable :o
or I am a great cowman that can grow teeth back ! :cowboy:

I should run the numbers on a new negative depreciation enterprise - - buy broken mouth cows, raise a couple calves, then re sell the cows as solid mouth... :banana:
0 x
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:31 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:

Both.

I should run the numbers on a new negative depreciation enterprise - - buy broken mouth cows, raise a couple calves, then re sell the cows as solid mouth... :banana:

Let me know how that works out. I could send you a couple pot loads of broken mouth cows for you to grow teeth on. :cowboy:
0 x

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:

Both.

I'll be glad to partner on some MO cows if you can work that magic reliably. :D
0 x
J & D Cattle

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:30 pm

Dave wrote:I could send you a couple pot loads of broken mouth cows for you to grow teeth on. :cowboy:

Lots of money in dental work. Most dentists here only work 4 days per week.

Dr. Steve
0 x
Stocker Steve

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:28 pm

We just bought several bred cows for prices lower than beef price. They were also registered cows bred to A.I. bulls. My grandfather even got back into it (he is almost in his 90's) and he bought some too. He even bought a 3in1 for less than $2000. Tough to sell bred cows right now it seems like. That is why I jumped at the opportunity to sell some private treaty. That worked well for us. They sold better than they would at an auction.
0 x

creekdrive
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby creekdrive » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:34 pm

These are Canadian prices but just thought I'd share some prices from up this way. This past Tuesday we sold some bred heifers. We sold 18 head and averaged $2380. We had one group of 8 reds that sold for $2650 which we were awfully pleased with. It was our first time selling any breds so thought we did quite well. There was a total of 585 bred heifers at the sale that ranged from $1350 - $3175 for an average of $2266. Bred cows sold from $1350 - $3100, avg $2432.

I checked back and we averaged $837 for our heifer calves that we sold last fall so I think it was smart to keep this group and sell as breds.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Wednesday's sale had bred cows from $700 - $1525, cow/calf pairs from $900 - $1825. Even butcher/canners and calves were all over the board. Prices here are up for calves, down for butcher/canners. Never know what you'll get for breds/pairs. I sold a bred for $1300 in Oct, private treaty. Same guy bought 3 breds at the sale for $800, 1 for $850.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:44 pm

creekdrive wrote: I checked back and we averaged $837 for our heifer calves that we sold last fall so I think it was smart to keep this group and sell as breds.

Calves were cheap last fall, so 2016-2017 was a profitable year to raise and SELL replacements.
Longer term question is whether NA can export enough of the increased beef production?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:04 pm

I was going to let go of 10 more bred heifers, reading this makes me think I may as well not advertise them.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:17 am

Steve,
Dentist friend here works 4 days a week - but he's told me that they're closed Fridays to avoid all the drug-seekers looking for a painkiller script to get 'em through the upcoming weekend. Had never considered that reason until he told me that.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:38 pm

Lucky_P wrote:Steve,
Dentist friend here works 4 days a week - but he's told me that they're closed Fridays to avoid all the drug-seekers looking for a painkiller script to get 'em through the upcoming weekend. Had never considered that reason until he told me that.

Must be a commonality in the dental world...we see an uptick in 'toothaches' in the ER on Friday nights.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:49 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Dave wrote:I sure know that I can't raise them for that. The people I saw buying them were ranchers who run 100's of cows. They were buying them as replacement heifers that they bought for less than they can raise them for.

Black heifer calves were $600 here last fall, and now they are worth $850 more as breds.
I can carry a yearling for a lot less that $850 per year. :nod:
Some years it pays to raise replacements, some years it does not. Don't look at the fully burdened average.

We get 850 for a heifer weaned and vac.....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

BrandX
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BrandX » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:18 pm

yep, Saturday I bought one heifer 7 months bred fir $900 and one 7 year old 5 months bred for $700. both black and quality looking.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”