EID tags will be required by 01/1/2021.

Discuss the things that affect the cattle industry.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

EID tags will be required by 01/1/2021.

Post by True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:24 am

It looks a AIN, "animal identification number" will be required for any animal over 18 months that leaves the farm in Georgia starting January 2021. Good bad or otherwise we have a start to traceability, hopefully more markets will open up for US beef. We haven't heard how it will affect imported beef sold as a product of the US.

If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: EID tags will be required by 01/1/2021.

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:27 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:24 am
It looks a AIN, "animal identification number" will be required for any animal over 18 months that leaves the farm in Georgia starting January 2021. Good bad or otherwise we have a start to traceability, hopefully more markets will open up for US beef. We haven't heard how it will affect imported beef sold as a product of the US.
That’s interesting Vince, thanks for posting. Can you provide a link to your source? I’d like to read more.

Thanks
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Post by dieselbeef » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:29 am

CUZ WE NEED MORE CRAP WE DONT GET PAID FOR...
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:11 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:27 am
True Grit Farms wrote:
That’s interesting Vince, thanks for posting. Can you provide a link to your source? I’d like to read more.

Thanks
The boss was in a meeting with those in the know yesterday and that's where I got it from. AIN will be officially announced in August. All the southeastern states will be low frequency. Florida already has AIN in place and is working on a user friendly transition period. The USDA "THINKS" there's enough metal ear tags to make it till 2021.
Public input my but, we have no say in what the USDA does. My guess is the NCBA and big beef importers have worked something out.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:08 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:11 am
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:27 am
True Grit Farms wrote:

Thanks
The boss was in a meeting with those in the know yesterday and that's where I got it from. AIN will be officially announced in August. All the southeastern states will be low frequency. Florida already has AIN in place and is working on a user friendly transition period. The USDA "THINKS" there's enough metal ear tags to make it till 2021.
Public input my but, we have no say in what the USDA does. My guess is the NCBA and big beef importers have worked something out.
Sounds like a good idea and well overdue.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

Buck Randall
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Buck Randall » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:19 pm

dieselbeef wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:29 am
CUZ WE NEED MORE CRAP WE DONT GET PAID FOR...
The only producers that this will harm are the ones who probably shouldn't be in the business at all. If we don't get on board, we'll lose markets to someone who does.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Post by M-5 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:28 pm

it will just get handled at the sale barns like it does now for a fee.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Will foreign beef require the same tagging, and tractability to be sold in US?
Are foreign producers BQA qualified?
Is COOL labeling required for all foreign beef?

Those are the questions I will be asking the cronies when they show up. Any one of the questions they answer yes to, I will apply to my herd, other wise not gonna happen.

It's all about control, they couldn't kill off the independent beef industry with low prices, and high cost, so they will do it through regulations. Anyone that falls for their lies about helping the industry, is a fool.
Want to help the US Beef industry, then put the foreign beef on the same playing field.
Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:24 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Those are the questions I will be asking the cronies when they show up. Any one of the questions they answer yes to, I will apply to my herd, other wise not gonna happen.

It's all about control, they couldn't kill off the independent beef industry with low prices, and high cost, so they will do it through regulations. Anyone that falls for their lies about helping the industry, is a fool.
Want to help the US Beef industry, then put the foreign beef on the same playing field.
You can bet I'm going to be asking those questions when I meet Mrs Houston of NCBA at the end of July. I'll be wearing a new R-CALF red cap that says, Make US Beef Great Again. Hopefully I won't cuss and get off subject again about COOL. The NCBA representatives are really good at deflecting the questions and talking in circles.

Buck Randall
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Buck Randall » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:59 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:

Why would you want foreign producers to get BQA certified or have traceability? It gives the American producer a leg up in the market. Put a big sticker on every product that says "HUMANE RAISED" or "SINGLE SOURCE" and people will pay a premium for it. This is not some inordinate burden or control measure. It's just a tag.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:11 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:

Well Sim Australia has had EID for about 13 years now and has full traceability so looks the answer to your first question is YES so looks like you will be doing it.

Ken

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:35 pm

We've had it for a long time too.. I don't like the $3 a tag idea.. has it helped our beef industry? I have a hard time believing that it's really made much difference other than a feel-good effect.. I once wanted to know where one of my calves went... Nope, can't do that, it's only reverse traceable, not forward traceable.. *rolleyes*

If you don't have the animal tagged when it gets to the sale barn, that's alright, they'll just charge you $10 a tag to put them in.

I really don't see why there's any debate about what frequency tags to use, why not use the ones everyone else is already using?
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

jehosofat
Rancher
Rancher

Post by jehosofat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:43 pm

All about control. They'll be wanting to tag you very shortly.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:36 pm

Well right now, it isn't even officially required and probably not legal to ask any one human where they come from .."officially", (tho scotus is going to rule on it later this session,) but the govt wants to know where every US animal came from but not all foreign animals?

Level the playing field.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:39 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:11 pm
sim.-ang.king wrote:

Well Sim Australia has had EID for about 13 years now and has full traceability so looks the answer to your first question is YES so looks like you will be doing it.

Ken
I knew the nanny state did already, but we get beef from more than just down under.
A level playing field is all I ask. Domestic or Abroad.
Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?