COOL ain't coming back

Discuss the things that affect the cattle industry.
User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5407
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 364 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by HDRider » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:39 am

Dave wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:06 am
Labeling does work. For years chicken grown in Washington state was label as Washington grown. It out sold in both price and volume "southern grown" chicken. The same concept would work for beef grown in the USA. One of the problem is you take a look at the resume of the administrator types at NCBA. There is a revolving door they go through, USDA, big beef corporations, and the NCBA. They generally have worked for the other two and when they leave they will switch to one of the others. That is pushed off as they have "contacts." They certainly do. But who are those contacts working for?
So you think the NCBA is self serving, and at the real cattleman's expense.


bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5407
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 364 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by HDRider » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:49 am

I just looked it up. NCBA took in almost $34 million in 2018.


https://www.drivingdemandforbeef.com/_i ... 18/?page=1
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2314
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 943 times
Been thanked: 949 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by Silver » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:29 pm

Maybe I overlooked it in this thread but I didn't see it discussed. Lots of folks seem to think it's pretty simple to throw a label on something but it isn't necessarily. How are you defining US beef? I can sure understand wanting a label on a piece of meat that came into the US in a package ready for sale to be labelled with country of origin. In fact it bothers me to hear that the "Product of Canada" label is replaced with a USDA label. At least that's what I understand happens.
But if you buy a feeder from me in Canada, and feed and process it in the US then that piece of beef is now a product of the USA. That's how all industry works. I would not want "product of Canada" on a food item last processed by a foreign country.
If I buy oranges from California and bring them to Canada and turn them into orange juice and ship it back to you full of contaminates I'd bet the good folks south of the line would be right to consider that a product of Canada and take appropriate action.
Or what if the calf was born in the US, fed in Canada, slaughtered and processed in the US?
Point is it's just not that simple, except in the case of finished product entering the US. Then I can agree 100 percent.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15775
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 1226 times
Been thanked: 1497 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:25 pm

How about “Product of North America” then?
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5374
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 624 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by sim.-ang.king » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:58 pm

I'd be okay with just labeling where it was processed, for a start, and work up from there.
Brazil ships a lot of boxed beef into the US, and it would be nice to know which is which.
They label produce all the time, yet the produce market is still going strong.
Socialism: Making everyone equally poor since 1917

User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2028
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 363 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by Brookhill Angus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:00 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:58 pm
I'd be okay with just labeling where it was processed, for a start, and work up from there.
Brazil ships a lot of boxed beef into the US, and it would be nice to know which is which.
They label produce all the time, yet the produce market is still going strong.
I would prefer beef raised in the United States any day over “rainforest cattle”

Clearing rainforest to raise beef cattle so they can be shipped to the United States for cheap protein is stupid, I would call it ignorant, but it’s not, it’s stupid.

We have capacity here in the U.S. for more beef production yet we import inferior beef??? We have dairy operations that are being shuttered, why not turn them into beef? The U.S. subsidizes other industry’s, why not give the dairy farmers what they need to convert?

It’s probably futile to even discuss this issue, but importing beef of highly questionable background that is in direct competition to U.S. producers doesn’t make any sense to me.
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5407
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 364 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by HDRider » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:13 am

Silver wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:29 pm
Maybe I overlooked it in this thread but I didn't see it discussed. Lots of folks seem to think it's pretty simple to throw a label on something but it isn't necessarily. How are you defining US beef? I can sure understand wanting a label on a piece of meat that came into the US in a package ready for sale to be labelled with country of origin. In fact it bothers me to hear that the "Product of Canada" label is replaced with a USDA label. At least that's what I understand happens.
But if you buy a feeder from me in Canada, and feed and process it in the US then that piece of beef is now a product of the USA. That's how all industry works. I would not want "product of Canada" on a food item last processed by a foreign country.
If I buy oranges from California and bring them to Canada and turn them into orange juice and ship it back to you full of contaminates I'd bet the good folks south of the line would be right to consider that a product of Canada and take appropriate action.
Or what if the calf was born in the US, fed in Canada, slaughtered and processed in the US?
Point is it's just not that simple, except in the case of finished product entering the US. Then I can agree 100 percent.
A good first step would be to label that feeder when finished and processed in the US as "US BEEF"
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5407
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 364 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by HDRider » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:14 am

sim.-ang.king wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:58 pm
I'd be okay with just labeling where it was processed, for a start, and work up from there.
Brazil ships a lot of boxed beef into the US, and it would be nice to know which is which.
They label produce all the time, yet the produce market is still going strong.
Sides coming from Brazil, or anywhere, into the US for processing can be labeled as US BEEF. I think that is wrong.
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2314
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 943 times
Been thanked: 949 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by Silver » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:30 am

HDRider wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:14 am
sim.-ang.king wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:58 pm
I'd be okay with just labeling where it was processed, for a start, and work up from there.
Brazil ships a lot of boxed beef into the US, and it would be nice to know which is which.
They label produce all the time, yet the produce market is still going strong.
Sides coming from Brazil, or anywhere, into the US for processing can be labeled as US BEEF. I think that is wrong.
I don't thing it's necessarily wrong, but it's not necessarily right either. Remember, it last underwent significant change in the US.
Seems to me when COOL was first in place plants had the option of labeling beef as either Product of USA or Product of Can Mex USA (something like that). People had the choice to hunt down product that said Product of USA at the exclusion of others. They didn't. Plants found it onerous and expensive to sort the cattle and label accordingly, so tended to put the catch all label on. I would have thought if there were a demonstrated demand in a capitalist world that this would have fixed itself. IE independent labels and such.

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19274
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 758 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by greybeard » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:57 am

Yep.....even when it was labeled, the label didn't tell the whole story, and probably couldn't.
But still, a no labeling policy at all is not what the public wants, even if they (the American consumer) buys by price point versus CoO.

I do see in one of our local stores, signs along the meat case saying "Whole beef cuts are product of USA" and "Whole pork cuts are product of USA". But as Silver points out......that may or may not mean exactly what it says.

(yall can come get Justine Beepber and Celine Dion back for sure)
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5374
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 624 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by sim.-ang.king » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:06 am

https://www.agweb.com/assets/1/19/bt_ja ... pg?1850601

Seems the check off is ok with labeling US beef, as long as it's sold in Japan.
Funny they don't cry much when it comes to labeling meat for export, or forcing Eid and block chain on US beef producers.
Socialism: Making everyone equally poor since 1917

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2314
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 943 times
Been thanked: 949 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by Silver » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:51 pm

greybeard wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:57 am
(yall can come get Justine Beepber and Celine Dion back for sure)
Heck no! You guys touched them last, that makes them yours :nod:

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19274
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 758 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by greybeard » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:20 pm

I wouldn't touch Celine Dion with........(never mind...can't say that here)
and I sure don't swing the other way.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5407
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 364 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by HDRider » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:52 pm

Being landlocked fresh seafood is not a choice.

My wife brought home frozen shrimp labeled from Louisiana. She said, and I quote, "I wasn't going to buy shrimp from India!"

It matters.
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

flounder
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: TEXAS
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by flounder » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:20 pm

TUESDAY, MARCH 26, 2019

USDA ARS 2018 USAHA RESOLUTIONS TWO PRONGED APPROACH NEEDED FOR ADVANCING CATTLE TRACEABILITY

https://naiscoolyes.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... s-two.html

Post Reply