COOL ain't coming back

Discuss the things that affect the cattle industry.
User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 25729
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 386 times
Been thanked: 1313 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:21 am

HDRider wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:13 am
Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:49 am
Most of you highly educated folks don't seem to understand that select sells to women who still cook. Prime does not sell in a grocery store in most areas. Select and choice are the grocery store steaks.
As for the labeling I have a friend that own a small chain of grocery stores. He spent several thousand dollars getting new labeling for COOL. He was be nice when they threw it out.
Other than a restaurant, I am not sure I could find a steak labeled prime. It would be a high end restaurant that even sold prime steaks.

Don't even get me started on the dearth and death of a real butcher shop.

Herky jerky policy cost your friend.

The real butcher shops are far and few in between. I am a journeyman butcher I doubt many of today’s could even breakdown a carcass.


I run sale-barn cattle.

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7338
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 178 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by M-5 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:39 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:21 am
HDRider wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:13 am
Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:49 am
Most of you highly educated folks don't seem to understand that select sells to women who still cook. Prime does not sell in a grocery store in most areas. Select and choice are the grocery store steaks.
As for the labeling I have a friend that own a small chain of grocery stores. He spent several thousand dollars getting new labeling for COOL. He was be nice when they threw it out.
Other than a restaurant, I am not sure I could find a steak labeled prime. It would be a high end restaurant that even sold prime steaks.

Don't even get me started on the dearth and death of a real butcher shop.

Herky jerky policy cost your friend.

The real butcher shops are far and few in between. I am a journeyman butcher I doubt many of today’s could even breakdown a carcass.
But in the brokehill world everybody should produce a prime carcass. LoL commercial cattle will always be the driver in the beef industry. The folks that eat prime beef at restaurants do not cook at home. 99.9% of house wives that cook were to compare a prime steak to a select r choice in the meat case would choose the select because of Price and appearance. Fat = bad in today's world.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5407
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 364 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by HDRider » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:37 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:21 am
HDRider wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:13 am
Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:49 am
Most of you highly educated folks don't seem to understand that select sells to women who still cook. Prime does not sell in a grocery store in most areas. Select and choice are the grocery store steaks.
As for the labeling I have a friend that own a small chain of grocery stores. He spent several thousand dollars getting new labeling for COOL. He was be nice when they threw it out.
Other than a restaurant, I am not sure I could find a steak labeled prime. It would be a high end restaurant that even sold prime steaks.

Don't even get me started on the dearth and death of a real butcher shop.

Herky jerky policy cost your friend.

The real butcher shops are far and few in between. I am a journeyman butcher I doubt many of today’s could even breakdown a carcass.
I worked at a real butcher shop, a processing plant, that did beef, pork and small ruminates. I gave serious consideration to opening a place like it, that is until I understood the incredible level of regulation and the cost to comply.

Some of the folks had worked there for decades. The lead cutter was an artist to behold. He taught the younger generations to go from the kill to the package. It gave me a great respect for the craft.
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

User avatar
Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7621
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:26 am
Location: North Arkansas
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:44 am

https://www.drovers.com/article/tyson-f ... H3k84Y3NAs

Notice where these cattle are being sourced from. Won't help the small producer a bit here in Arkansas.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 25729
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 386 times
Been thanked: 1313 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:54 am

Rider my uncle was the manager for the slaughter plant that Murchison owned. Worked in an over the counter shop for years. Wife used to weigh the babies on the scales. He is the one got me started in the trade. I decided that there was a better way to make a living for my family. I still worked as a butcher part time for years as a fill in. I think that’s a lot of what is wrong with my back today. Those heavy beef fore quarters would separate the men from the boys quick.
I run sale-barn cattle.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9453
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 578 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by True Grit Farms » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:55 am

Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:44 am
https://www.drovers.com/article/tyson-f ... H3k84Y3NAs

Notice where these cattle are being sourced from. Won't help the small producer a bit here in Arkansas.
That's a good start. Hopefully AAA will follow in with DNA testing for CAB.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4798
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 444 times
Been thanked: 499 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by JMJ Farms » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:44 pm

To echo some of the other comments, I don’t think labeling is the hindrance at all. Very simple to slap a sticker on a package of meat. It’s all about money and greed. Produce has to be labeled according to where it came from. If it’s good enough for produce, it is good enough for beef. And I’m all for free trade. I don’t care where McDonald’s buys their beef. But labeling and transparency is easy. The reason beef is not labeled as US Beef, is because it doesn’t pad the pockets of the right people :2cents: :tiphat:
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5407
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 364 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by HDRider » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:19 pm

Looks like 16 of these 100 US companies slaughter beef.

None of this beef would be foreign.

https://www.provisioneronline.com/2017- ... processors
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5407
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 364 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by HDRider » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:43 am

I know we are beef guys, but this points out how out of control our meat supply is. If they caught this it makes you wonder how much they don't catch.

On the heels of a massive cocaine bust at a New Jersey port, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection announced another big seizure on Friday of roughly 1 million pounds of pork smuggled from China, where there’s an ongoing outbreak of deadly African swine fever.
https://www.nj.com/news/2019/03/feds-se ... break.html
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

cbcr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 464
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:06 am
Location: West Central Missouri
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by cbcr » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:42 pm

How many of the big packing plants have foreign ownership?

We have visited with grocery stores that would like to have a more LOCAL source with known origin of their meat. There are USDA processing plants around but capacity to be able to process a number of animals to supply that need is an issue.

Another issue, most grocery stores don't buy whole carcasses. They may buy more brisket or more steaks and hamburger. What they buy depends on the time of year and what sells in their stores. So being able to market all the cuts from whole carcasses would be challenging.

As one buyer ask me one time, "where can I get 5 boxcars of beef a week"? They would like to have a better source, but the amount they need would be a problem. Many grocery stores are part of a chain or a buying group and are not allowed to source their own meat.

We all want products including food that we purchase to be cheap, but be able to market what we produce for more. But, most consumers, even though they are cost conscious, they also want quality (the best they can buy) and most are interested in where their food is from.

Most grocery stores don't make very much money on meat or even grocery products. The supplier and other middlemen is who makes most of the money. The farmer and the grocer on either end don't receive a fair share of the pie.

If solutions to the issues mentioned above could be figured out, it would not only benefit farmers but consumers could probably still have a more affordable product.

Seeing the prices in the store for various cuts of meat, what would the value of a carcass be at those prices vs what the farmers receives.

User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2028
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 363 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by Brookhill Angus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:57 am

HDRider wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:43 am
I know we are beef guys, but this points out how out of control our meat supply is. If they caught this it makes you wonder how much they don't catch.

On the heels of a massive cocaine bust at a New Jersey port, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection announced another big seizure on Friday of roughly 1 million pounds of pork smuggled from China, where there’s an ongoing outbreak of deadly African swine fever.
https://www.nj.com/news/2019/03/feds-se ... break.html
That’s some crazy sh.t right there!
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8780
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon
Been thanked: 889 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by Dave » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:06 am

Labeling does work. For years chicken grown in Washington state was label as Washington grown. It out sold in both price and volume "southern grown" chicken. The same concept would work for beef grown in the USA. One of the problem is you take a look at the resume of the administrator types at NCBA. There is a revolving door they go through, USDA, big beef corporations, and the NCBA. They generally have worked for the other two and when they leave they will switch to one of the others. That is pushed off as they have "contacts." They certainly do. But who are those contacts working for?

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19274
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 758 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by greybeard » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:28 am

I think labeling works.
In my family even down here in Texas , getting a crate of apples labeled "Washington State" apples was like standing in high cotton.
There were 'apples' and then.........there was Washington State Apples...Boy Scouts and Kiwanis Club sold them every year as fund raisers.

The same with Rio Star and Ruby Red grapefruit from Rio Grand Valley Tx. There was 'grapefruit' but that Rio Star was what you really wanted.

I miss the colorful labels that used to come on the boxes and crates..big collectors market for them now. Repros are available but not full size and aren't as colorful...

Image
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2028
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 363 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by Brookhill Angus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:44 am

greybeard wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:28 am
I think labeling works.
In my family even down here in Texas , getting a crate of apples labeled "Washington State" apples was like standing in high cotton.
There were 'apples' and then.........there was Washington State Apples...Boy Scouts and Kiwanis Club sold them every year as fund raisers.

The same with Rio Star and Ruby Red grapefruit from Rio Grand Valley Tx. There was 'grapefruit' but that Rio Star was what you really wanted.

I miss the colorful labels that used to come on the boxes and crates..big collectors market for them now. Repros are available but not full size and aren't as colorful...

Image
Me to! Good post..
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19274
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 758 times

Re: COOL ain't coming back

Post by greybeard » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:55 am

I bought a slab of frozen ribs several decades ago, cooked them as I always have and they were nasty. Dug the package out of the garbage and they were from, of all places, Denmark. That's when I really started paying attention to labels.
I don't know the answer to this, but there's no good reason NOT to have country or even state of origin on all meat and especially beef, and I don't mean that dang "Distributed by....." crap either.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Post Reply