Tom Cotton is a "NO" on COOL

Discuss the things that affect the cattle industry.
Post Reply
User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5052
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 189 times

Tom Cotton is a "NO" on COOL

Post by HDRider » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:31 am

His letter to me

While I understand and share your concern for food safety, it is important to keep in mind that imported food items are subject to the same regulation and standards as American-produced goods. These expanded mandates to COOL create additional barriers and costs for importers and retailers, impede free and open trade, and inevitably raise costs for Arkansans trying to feed their families.

BTW - I did not raise the issue as one of food safety.


bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14278
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 907 times
Been thanked: 870 times

Re: Tom Cotton is a "NO" on COOL

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:53 am

HDRider wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:31 am
His letter to me

While I understand and share your concern for food safety, it is important to keep in mind that imported food items are subject to the same regulation and standards as American-produced goods. These expanded mandates to COOL create additional barriers and costs for importers and retailers, impede free and open trade, and inevitably raise costs for Arkansans trying to feed their families.

BTW - I did not raise the issue as one of food safety.
Luckily Tom is watching out for our food safety even if you're not.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3399
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 675 times
Been thanked: 272 times

Re: Tom Cotton is a "NO" on COOL

Post by bball » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:18 am

Rider, if history has taught us anything; the food and circus must flow to placate the masses. I truly believe that is the reality at play now.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Exercising compassion provides the most linear and fulfilling state of happiness.

User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5052
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 189 times

Re: Tom Cotton is a "NO" on COOL

Post by HDRider » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:31 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:53 am
HDRider wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:31 am
His letter to me

While I understand and share your concern for food safety, it is important to keep in mind that imported food items are subject to the same regulation and standards as American-produced goods. These expanded mandates to COOL create additional barriers and costs for importers and retailers, impede free and open trade, and inevitably raise costs for Arkansans trying to feed their families.

BTW - I did not raise the issue as one of food safety.
Luckily Tom is watching out for our food safety even if you're not.
Should I not expect food safety as a minimum for food coming into America? That should be a given. There should be no doubt that food is safe.
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14278
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 907 times
Been thanked: 870 times

Re: Tom Cotton is a "NO" on COOL

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:25 pm

HDRider wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:31 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:53 am
HDRider wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:31 am
His letter to me

While I understand and share your concern for food safety, it is important to keep in mind that imported food items are subject to the same regulation and standards as American-produced goods. These expanded mandates to COOL create additional barriers and costs for importers and retailers, impede free and open trade, and inevitably raise costs for Arkansans trying to feed their families.

BTW - I did not raise the issue as one of food safety.
Luckily Tom is watching out for our food safety even if you're not.
Should I not expect food safety as a minimum for food coming into America? That should be a given. There should be no doubt that food is safe.
I agree that should be a given and with dedicated public servants like Tom Cotton I can rest easy at night knowing he's on the job.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24562
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 241 times
Been thanked: 761 times

Re: Tom Cotton is a "NO" on COOL

Post by Caustic Burno » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:41 pm

bball wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:18 am
Rider, if history has taught us anything; the food and circus must flow to placate the masses. I truly believe that is the reality at play now.
Follow the money.
If JBS has it’s way the American beef is gone the way of the buffalo, no matter your size. Its much cheaper to import Brazilian and Argentina beef.
Get the 50 and under crowd gone and you have wiped out the sale barns.
Now you truly are at their mercy.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 am
Location: ne texas
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 98 times

Re: Tom Cotton is a "NO" on COOL

Post by ccr » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:19 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:41 pm
bball wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:18 am
Rider, if history has taught us anything; the food and circus must flow to placate the masses. I truly believe that is the reality at play now.
Follow the money.
If JBS has it’s way the American beef is gone the way of the buffalo, no matter your size. Its much cheaper to import Brazilian and Argentina beef.
Get the 50 and under crowd gone and you have wiped out the sale barns.
Now you truly are at their mercy.
cb, why is it cheaper to import?
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24562
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 241 times
Been thanked: 761 times

Re: Tom Cotton is a "NO" on COOL

Post by Caustic Burno » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:02 pm

ccr wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:19 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:41 pm
bball wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:18 am
Rider, if history has taught us anything; the food and circus must flow to placate the masses. I truly believe that is the reality at play now.
Follow the money.
If JBS has it’s way the American beef is gone the way of the buffalo, no matter your size. Its much cheaper to import Brazilian and Argentina beef.
Get the 50 and under crowd gone and you have wiped out the sale barns.
Now you truly are at their mercy.
cb, why is it cheaper to import?
Can you sell yours for .64 lb in USD?
I would like to find how cheaply they can ship in boxed beef.
That was the last price I could find on Argentina. Argentina exports 400,000 tons and that’s behind Brazil followed by Paraguay .
I can’t cover operating cost at 1.20 on 4 wts. figure cow cost are 547 a year.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5052
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 189 times

Re: Tom Cotton is a "NO" on COOL

Post by HDRider » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:00 am

ccr wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:19 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:41 pm
bball wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:18 am
Rider, if history has taught us anything; the food and circus must flow to placate the masses. I truly believe that is the reality at play now.
Follow the money.
If JBS has it’s way the American beef is gone the way of the buffalo, no matter your size. Its much cheaper to import Brazilian and Argentina beef.
Get the 50 and under crowd gone and you have wiped out the sale barns.
Now you truly are at their mercy.
cb, why is it cheaper to import?
I don't KNOW this, but I suspect it relates wholly to their cost structure.

My cows live on grass alone about 7 months a year. Then my costs goes up feeding hay for 5 months.

How many South American countries graze all year?

The minimum wage in Brazil is about $1.25 per hour.

Brazil has the largest beef herd in the world.

Google says, A productive, sought-after piece of farmland in the US sells between $12,000 and $15,000 an acre, - while a comparable piece of land in Brazil costs between $500 and $1,500 per acre.
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19769
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA
Has thanked: 152 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: Tom Cotton is a "NO" on COOL

Post by skyhightree1 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:34 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:41 pm
bball wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:18 am
Rider, if history has taught us anything; the food and circus must flow to placate the masses. I truly believe that is the reality at play now.
Follow the money.
If JBS has it’s way the American beef is gone the way of the buffalo, no matter your size. Its much cheaper to import Brazilian and Argentina beef.
Get the 50 and under crowd gone and you have wiped out the sale barns.
Now you truly are at their mercy.
Here thats a reality as one guy 30 and myself 39 are the last to have herds my friend has 100 brood cows or so but hes thinking of getting out.
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Post Reply