Jump Starting Safety

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Jump Starting Safety

Post by Redgully » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:57 am

greggy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:35 am
alisonb wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:41 am
I asked one of my crew to take the old battery off of the tractor and put it in my truck. Was on my way to buy a new one(the supplier takes the old one). I heard this explosion, ran to check out what had happened and there was the guy with his face full of sulfuric acid. Got him to the hose pipe and sprayed him down quickly then went to get the bicarb.
He said he lit his lighter close to the battery :o . He got a he!! of a fright but was okay.
OMG

The same person who uses a lighter to see how much fuel is in a fuel tank.!
Leo Wanker, aka Paul Hogan.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:13 am

M.Magis wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:58 am
greggy wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:05 pm

Why did it explode....

Always good to know.....
It had been charging all day because I knew I’d have to plow snow after work. It was on my Ford 3000, I unhooked the charger and turned the key while standing beside it with the hood up. Not sure why there was such a concentration of fumes since it was outside with the hood up.
Be very careful doing that. A lot of tractors will start in gear.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

greggy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by greggy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:21 pm

Brings back memories.....our US friends would only know Leo Wanker as aka Crocidile Dundee

Could be something you would expect Russel Coight to be up to outback somewhere.....he will prob steal this idea now....

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:17 pm

greggy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:21 pm

Brings back memories.....our US friends would only know Leo Wanker as aka Crocidile Dundee

Could be something you would expect Russel Coight to be up to outback somewhere.....he will prob steal this idea now....
Love Coight, wish he would do more series.

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Post by bbirder » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:43 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:22 pm
JW IN VA wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:08 pm
It has something to do with avoiding a spark from the last terminal hooked igniting gas coming off the battery.Never seen it happen but I've seen a blown battery.Ain't pretty.Right smelly with the Sulphuric acid boiling.
I had one blow the hood open on a 1980
Ford pick up. Went out to go to work sounded like a12 gauge went off in the cab when I turned ignition on.
My mind has been right about batteries every since. It’s hydrogen gas coming off the battery the explosive range on hydrogen gas is huge the LEl is like 4% and the UEL like 76% if I remember right.
CB,
Same thing happened to me. I think on a 79 ford (wonder if there should have been a recall). When I turned the key it blew. The top of the battery dented the hood pretty good. Traded the truck with the dent still in it.
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."