Disc advice

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
jltrent
GURU
GURU

Re: Disc advice

Post by jltrent » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:21 am

Just took a pic of the old bog here. It has been a few years, but I have ran over several hundred acres with this one. Dad put me on a tractor probably around 9 years old with this old bog behind and I would pull it all day as it is slow going. I have even pulled it with a Ford 3600 some. It will plow the ground and each round just lap over half and the ground will be pretty smooth when done. I usually back then used a MF175 or later a MF285.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:31 am

jltrent wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:21 am
Just took a pic of the old bog here. It has been a few years, but I have ran over several hundred acres with this one. Dad put me on a tractor probably around 9 years old with this old bog behind and I would pull it all day as it is slow going. I have even pulled it with a Ford 3600 some. It will plow the ground and each round just lap over half and the ground will be pretty smooth when done. I usually back then used a MF175 or later a MF285.

I guess this jewel is mine.

The other disc must have been something special. Went for $1300.

A case IH 5100 grain drill with the small seed box brought $2500. Looked like a brand new baby. I told him don’t give over 2k. Wish I’d said 3k. It was nice. Oh well.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:10 am

jltrent wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:21 am

When my dad moved up from the horse and mule day it was in 1950 he bought a new ford 8n with bush and bog disc, two bottom moldboard, Middle buster, cultivator and planter also a spring tooth filed cultivator. That bush and bog disc would do a good job without any weight and we did double disk with it as described by jtrent. He was a water melon framer and leased land that had laid out for years. We would cut persimmon sprouts and sassafrass in the winter and start disking also it was a cold day setting on that 8n.