Plow vs. Disking vs. Chisel Plow

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Soggy Bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Plow vs. Disking vs. Chisel Plow

Post by Soggy Bottom » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:30 am

I tried it again yesterday afternoon in another part of ground that was dryer and it did pull it. I do believe I need to get it setup better also. Can I put a level on the main frame to level side to side and front to back? Also any tricks to insure it is straight with the tractor. Thanks for the help with this. Im very green in the plow business.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:24 am

The right hand tires need to be set to the correct width so when in furrow that the plow is in the correct spot. That dimension would be in the book for the plow but can also be measured and calculated.

You can try a level. But I just set level by eye ball. Watch the plow in the ground and see if all the moldboards are flipping the soil equally. Adjust side to side and front to back so they are all taking an equal slice. A fully mounted plow is more sensitive to adjustments, a semi mount or on land are easier to setup IMO.

Soggy Bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Soggy Bottom » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:24 am

Thanks for the input on the plow. I finally got everything plowed and I am starting to disk now. I have noticed in the middle of different areas I have created a valley where the plow came together from two different directions. Is there any easy way to fill the "valley" back in with dirt. Should I address this issue after the disking is complete? I am thinking of build a drag type harrow out of channel iron to pull behind the disk. Maybe that will fill it in?