Plow vs. Disking vs. Chisel Plow

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Plow vs. Disking vs. Chisel Plow

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:51 pm

They are a tool that have their place in certain areas, certain soils, certain topography, etc.

Just because a tool isn't useful in your area doesnt mean it should be illegal and that it's the devil.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:22 am

littletom wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:14 pm
Moldboard plows should be illegal. Not just erosion but your carbon and organic matter is leaving. It took me along time to learn this
If you outlaw plows , only outlaws will have plows.
It ain't bragging if you can do it.
Red Bull Breeder.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Texasmark » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:22 pm

Silver wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:16 pm
I'm a big fan of the moldboard plow on sod ground. Get that sod underground and out of the way, a pass with the power harrow (two if the plowing job wasn't the best) and then seed.
Turning plows don't do well in black clay so they are seldom used here. Rolling discs are the primary ground breaking devices with subsoilers for the deep penetration ahead of the disc.

One thing nice about the turning plow is just what you said. With the disc, if you have any vegetation, the disc puts it on top and it's a mess dealing with it, which is what I just finished doing. The disc cuts up the clods and makes for a rough field, not as bad as the turning plow but rough enough that you don't want to leave it like that.

So what's next? Out comes the spike harrow to smooth the dirt clods, preferably after a freeze or two occurring after a rain or two softens the clods, but the spike harrow picks up the loose wads of bunch grass and fills up with it. Then, when it decides, it just rolls over the wad and you have this big clump of dead grass and roots and dirt in the middle of the row. Getting that smoothed is a PIA and besides, it needs to be incorporated into the soil, not wasting away on top.

So today I tried something different. I got out in the field with my 61" Ferris ZT chopping and scattering the mess. Worked real good as a matter of fact and didn't take all that long and thanks to the spike harrow, the ride was nice and smooth....I'd still rather have it buried where it would improve my soils percolation.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Texasmark » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:28 pm

callmefence wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:22 am
littletom wrote:
Moldboard plows should be illegal. Not just erosion but your carbon and organic matter is leaving. It took me along time to learn this
If you outlaw plows , only outlaws will have plows.
Agree with you where top soils are slim to none, like here in "Cottoned Out Texas". Seems the corn belt folks have 6' of topsoil, thanks to the glaciers so they aren't worried about it.......yes, no you corn belt guys?

But as I mentioned, I'd like to have it buried in the top 6" of soil.......I'm thinking.

Soggy Bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Soggy Bottom » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:49 am

I have found a plow I might buy but am wondering if my tractor will pull it comfortably. My tractor is around 9000# 75 hp with Front wheel assist. I have attached a few pics of the plow. It's a three bottom with 16" moldboards. Its a heavy plow also and seems well made.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:03 pm

I would think you could pull it no problem. I would like to have auto resets and coulters, but it might not be an issue in your conditions.

Soggy Bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Soggy Bottom » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:20 pm

Thanks for the input.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:49 am

Tractor should pull it. How are all the wear parts?

I agree plowing sod without coulters might make a preacher cuss.

greggy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by greggy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:36 am

Soggy Bottom wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:18 am
littletom wrote:
Care to elaborate on this? Are you saying its bad for a field to do it only once?
Turns everything upside down, that cant be good....

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:07 am

There are some good things about plowing. Burying weed seeds is one. So many organic guys still do it.

Conventional corn and bean boys don't plow anymore because it is slow, and requires multiple passes. Strip till, or even no till, are growing trends.

Renovating a beat up winter feeding area is different than row cropping, and requires tillage if you need to drive or hay across it. Perhaps disking and spring toothing if you can not justify the new harrowing or minimum tillage tools.
Stocker Steve

Soggy Bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Soggy Bottom » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:14 pm

Update on the plow. I brought it home and got it set up. Took alittle while of adjusting to get it to run right. At first it was only plowing with the first two moldboards. Pulled it no problem. Once I got it set right to get all three moldboards in the ground my tractor wouldn’t pull it. It would pull it fine for 10-20 feet. Than after lowering the plow alittle deeper to make it turn the sod over correctly it would stop the tractor and it would start spinning. We did receive 1/2” of rain two days ago and an 1” the week before. Ground is black gumbo and pretty sticky right now. Think when it drys up some I will have better luck pulling it? Everything I saw in manuals on the internet said 1hp per 1” of moldboards. I have three 16” moldboards so that would put the plow at 48hp. My tractor is a heavy 75hp front wheel assist with water and weighs on the back tires. I thought I shouldn’t have any problems. Any thoughts?

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:24 pm

Soggy Bottom wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:14 pm
Update on the plow. I brought it home and got it set up. Took alittle while of adjusting to get it to run right. At first it was only plowing with the first two moldboards. Pulled it no problem. Once I got it set right to get all three moldboards in the ground my tractor wouldn’t pull it. It would pull it fine for 10-20 feet. Than after lowering the plow alittle deeper to make it turn the sod over correctly it would stop the tractor and it would start spinning. We did receive 1/2” of rain two days ago and an 1” the week before. Ground is black gumbo and pretty sticky right now. Think when it drys up some I will have better luck pulling it? Everything I saw in manuals on the internet said 1hp per 1” of moldboards. I have three 16” moldboards so that would put the plow at 48hp. My tractor is a heavy 75hp front wheel assist with water and weighs on the back tires. I thought I shouldn’t have any problems. Any thoughts?
:lol: We in the blacklands have to farm different than the books tell us to.... :D.
Last edited by 1982vett on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:26 pm

greggy wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:36 am
Soggy Bottom wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:18 am
littletom wrote:
Care to elaborate on this? Are you saying its bad for a field to do it only once?
Turns everything upside down, that cant be good....
Turning things upside down can be very good.. We get sod bound really badly here, couchgrass and all.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ccr » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:09 pm

i would think a 75 hp and front wheel assist (is that 4 wheel drive?) would not have a problem pulling that plow. after it dries some i bet it will pull it.
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:19 pm

Dry will help, but if the wear parts are worn and without coulters it may take way more power to pull. If I dont have things adjusted correctly my 6btm plow will stop 175hp in its tracks, when in good ground adjusted right 125hp will pull it.