Plow vs. Disking vs. Chisel Plow

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Soggy Bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Plow vs. Disking vs. Chisel Plow

Post by Soggy Bottom » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:05 pm

I am in the process of converting 15 acres of bluestem to bermuda. It is going to baled this week and I will spray with gly shortly after. Once it is sprayed my plan was the run a chisel plow through it than a disk harrow after. Would it be better to pull a plow through it first than a disk harrow once all the over turned roots have dried? I plan spraying with gly in the spring again if needed to kill any new bluestem growth. I will probably plant hay grazer next year than sprig next winter with coastal. Thanks for the input.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Plow vs. Disking vs. Chisel Plow

Post by skyhightree1 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:44 pm

Personally I don't want to bottom plow 2 acres much less 15. I always chisel plow mostly if the dirt has good amount of moisture then disk. I didn't chisel plow the land I reclaimed because it was hard as a rock so I disced over and over.
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:11 pm

Soggy Bottom wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:05 pm
I am in the process of converting 15 acres of bluestem to bermuda. It is going to baled this week and I will spray with gly shortly after. Once it is sprayed my plan was the run a chisel plow through it than a disk harrow after. Would it be better to pull a plow through it first than a disk harrow once all the over turned roots have dried? I plan spraying with gly in the spring again if needed to kill any new bluestem growth. I will probably plant hay grazer next year than sprig next winter with coastal. Thanks for the input.
You have a good plan and are setting yourself up for success either way. I would want a good deep chisel next fall after the hay grazer comes off. Then get it good smooth and fluffy over the winter.
I think alot of people, including me make a mistake at this point. Especially in dry country.
Everyone wants to run out and disc it one more time right before the spriggs come. That's fine if it rains. But when you open the ground up you lose that moisture in the ground, now your dependant on rain.
Get it worked up right but don't touch it for a few weeks before you sprigg. Sprig through the crust then roll it immediately To retain your soil moisture.
Your plan on getting rid of the kr is good.imo
It ain't bragging if you can do it.
Red Bull Breeder.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:16 pm

I'm a big fan of the moldboard plow on sod ground. Get that sod underground and out of the way, a pass with the power harrow (two if the plowing job wasn't the best) and then seed.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:20 pm

Silver and I are old school I guess.. I use a moldboard plow a fair bit... I've got a big 2 bottom rollover Kvernland.. as long as you don't have too much big rock it's a good tool.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:18 pm

Moldboard plow works good as it gets the sod buried and breaking down. But even with my 6-18 plow it is a very slow process. I just did about 40 acres with a heavy disc one pass, and a second pass lighter with a drag behind and got good results with much less time involved.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:34 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:18 pm
Moldboard plow works good as it gets the sod buried and breaking down. But even with my 6-18 plow it is a very slow process. I just did about 40 acres with a heavy disc one pass, and a second pass lighter with a drag behind and got good results with much less time involved.
Must be quite a difference between your ground and mine. Many less hours and a better job with a plow here. You start pulling a heavy disk over old hay land and you'll just make a mess that will take an extra year to be ready for fine seed, no matter how many passes I make.
I can plow between 5 and 6 acres an hour, and have a good job that after a pass or two with the power harrow the seedbed is fine enough to plant hay back into it without waiting that extra year for the sods to break down.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:55 pm

We have heavy red clay soils they plow hard and slow. With my disc I can carry better speed and throw the dirt around. I have 20 acres of sod I disced 3 times late this summer and got cereal rye drilled in, I'll bale that and wrap it next summer then seed it to hay ( ground is smooth enough I'll have no problems mowing at 10+mph). The other 20 acres I didn't get a chance to get rye in before the snow came and things froze up so unfortunately I wont get a crop in there until late next summer. I can disc 12-15 acres an hour without running too hard.

Different soils react differently. Also our "top soil" is very shallow so it's easy to plow up the subsoil clay that wont grow anything.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:10 pm

Very shallow soil here too.
Here's a couple of pics of 10 year old hay land plowed up and being harrowed. It was planted right back to hay with oats as cover a couple of years ago and is now a field that allows me to take advantage of the cutting potential of my haybine.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:22 pm

Looks like fine soil that works up nice. My best ground isn't half that fine textured. Also dont own 10 sqft that is as flat as that field. Lol

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:56 pm

The power harrow was a game changer around here.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:01 pm

Silver wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:56 pm
What is it and who makes it?
Stocker Steve

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:21 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:01 pm
Silver wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:56 pm
What is it and who makes it?
Mine is made by Kverneland, 15' wide, but there are a few manufacturers.
This is the model I have:
https://farmstar.co.uk/product/kvernela ... er-harrow/

Soggy Bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Soggy Bottom » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:50 am

Thanks for the info. I am going to have to buy either a chisel plow or bottom plow. It seems I can get a bottom plow for about half the price of a chisel. I will probably try the bottom plow route first.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:04 am

When buying a moldboard plow make sure all the wear parts (moldboards, points, landsides, shins, coulters, etc) are in very good shape. Fighting with a worn out plow will make a preacher cuss. And with moldboard plows going the way of the dodo bird for the most part, you can be choosy as there is a lot for sale to look at.