Gooseneck trailer

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
bird dog
GURU
GURU

Re: Gooseneck trailer

Post by bird dog » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:44 pm

"Featherlites are good if you stay on highway.. you start to take them on our washboardy dirt roads and they fall to pieces."

Thats similar to what happened on my Alum. trailer. Got caught in a sudden very heavy rain storm about as far from the gravel road as I could be with a full load of mama cows. 2WD dually. The ground was dry and hard before the rain so I figured if I got going good I could make it out if I didn't stop. So away we went. No slowing down for bumps, washouts or terraces.
It was a crazy ride but we got out. The trailer did fine but I had about 10 welds break around the bars and gates. I got it all fixed back up and still own it but seldom take off the hard top anymore.

Boot Jack Bulls
GURU
GURU

Post by Boot Jack Bulls » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:47 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:21 pm
Nesikep wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:05 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:07 pm
This is not advice but I just bought one. A 2018 16 foot Featherlite. The dealer just got it back in. It looks absolutely brand new. It does have a stain on the floor toward the front of the cabin (I call it a cabin because it looks nice enough to sleep in). Must have stored something corrosive on the floor. It was power washed before display but it doesn't look like he hauled cattle in it. The dang thing is so pretty, it is going to be a challenge to get it dirty. It is like pulling a giant trophy around that you got for winning a Hog Calling Contest at the county fair.
Featherlites are good if you stay on highway.. you start to take them on our washboardy dirt roads and they fall to pieces.
Are you kidding? As nice as this baby is, I am thinking of putting it up on blocks and living in it.
LOL! You would be better off! Featherlite makes nice looking trailers. They just do not stand up to heavy use. I find 4 Star to be a happy medium between Featherlite and a Wilson for example. They are made to last, hold value extremely well, and pull super nice. We've used several different brands in the past couple of decades, for every thing from show trailers that only leave the barn to hit the interstate, to a custom heavy duty built Featherlite for daily use for commercial cattle trucking. You will likely never see anything but a 4 Star sitting in any of our driveways ever again.
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:15 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:47 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Nesikep wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:05 pm

Featherlites are good if you stay on highway.. you start to take them on our washboardy dirt roads and they fall to pieces.
Are you kidding? As nice as this baby is, I am thinking of putting it up on blocks and living in it.
LOL! You would be better off! Featherlite makes nice looking trailers. They just do not stand up to heavy use. I find 4 Star to be a happy medium between Featherlite and a Wilson for example. They are made to last, hold value extremely well, and pull super nice. We've used several different brands in the past couple of decades, for every thing from show trailers that only leave the barn to hit the interstate, to a custom heavy duty built Featherlite for daily use for commercial cattle trucking. You will likely never see anything but a 4 Star sitting in any of our driveways ever again.
I am not going to use it anyway. I just like looking at it. I might pull it around on holidays.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Boot Jack Bulls
GURU
GURU

Post by Boot Jack Bulls » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:23 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:15 pm
Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I am not going to use it anyway. I just like looking at it. I might pull it around on holidays.
LOL! Are you sure you're not attempting to fit in the show ring crowd? Seriously though, I'm sure you will care for it well and not beat it to shyte, so it should hold up just fine for you. Keep it clean when not in use, splurge for an occasional acid bath, and don't over-load it!
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:46 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:23 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:15 pm
Boot Jack Bulls wrote:

LOL! Are you sure you're not attempting to fit in the show ring crowd? Seriously though, I'm sure you will care for it well and not beat it to shyte, so it should hold up just fine for you. Keep it clean when not in use, splurge for an occasional acid bath, and don't over-load it!
I have a relatively light duty need for a trailer. Mostly delivery of one or two head, all on good surface. That is why I went with the 16 foot.

I would like to ask you, is there anything that I should use to protect the floor? Is the acid bath a protectant?
Diogenes.

CSM
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CSM » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:40 pm

I have the same trailer. I normally don't have a very heavy load and it has been perfect for me. I think it will serve you well. Enjoy.
Militia of one.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Post by jltrent » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:53 pm

I have this one as it lets a lot of air in, but is all I need.. It is 20' long and I usually load it not over 7k as I would rather make two trips as to stuff. I gave $6500 for it and when I got it home I took one of the back brake drums off and the pads are probably 75% or more..

Last edited by jltrent on Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:57 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:46 pm
I would like to ask you, is there anything that I should use to protect the floor?
Only floor treatment mine gets is what the calves and cows have to offer..... :lol:
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:14 pm

Just wash it out, that's all it needs.

Our roads are crap
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:35 pm

I have a 2013 Wilson 20 foot trailer. I bought it new. I shopped for used but 20 year old used trailer were selling for only a couple grand less than new. These things hold their value. I had an old rusty Morgan built 18 foot gooseneck that pulled like a stone boat. When I picked up this Wilson I kept looking in the rear view mirror wondering if it was still there. It pulls like a dream. All I ever do is wash it out about once a year. This time of the year it gets stuffed full of cattle about 3 days a week. About 20 500 weight calves, generally 10 cows, and in the spring 40 young calves.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:05 am

Nesikep wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:14 pm

Our roads are crap
I sure hope you don't meet someone else coming the opposite direction on that road!!! :D :hide:

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:17 am

Bright Raven wrote:
This is not advice but I just bought one. A 2018 16 foot Featherlite. The dealer just got it back in. It looks absolutely brand new. It does have a stain on the floor toward the front of the cabin (I call it a cabin because it looks nice enough to sleep in). Must have stored something corrosive on the floor. It was power washed before display but it doesn't look like he hauled cattle in it. The dang thing is so pretty, it is going to be a challenge to get it dirty. It is like pulling a giant trophy around that you got for winning a Hog Calling Contest at the county fair.
That's a nice trailer Ron, I am sure it will stand up to whatever you dish out to plus a lot more. My motto when I fabricate things is that "light is good". Too often poor design is compensated by heavier steel.

Ken

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:01 am

:banana:
wbvs58 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:17 am
Bright Raven wrote:
That's a nice trailer Ron, I am sure it will stand up to whatever you dish out to plus a lot more. My motto when I fabricate things is that "light is good". Too often poor design is compensated by heavier steel.

Ken
Thank you. I like aluminum. It is now used in the Ford Pickup I have. I notice my mileage is better with the same engine that was in my 2014 F250.
Diogenes.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:33 am

Bfields30 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:33 pm
20ft 24ft Or 28ft don’t need anything super fancy will be using mostly to take to sale or vet most times but I’m leaning towards 24 ft but don’t know how many full grown cows can fit on one. Will use to go pickup cows couple hrs max from my place as well. Looking for advice on what guys think i should look into?
I have a 16 foot WW gooseneck. Maybe pull it one or two times a year. I always sell at the Winnsboro Livestock Auction. Owner charges me $50 to pick up a load of calves or cows. If I was buying again I would buy a 16 foot bumper the 16 foot gooseneck is a pain for me to back up it gets out of the mirrors view pretty quickly. Has anyone installed one of the sway bars on the bumper pulls that the RV users use.
What if Martin Luther King jr's dream had come true.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:18 am

sstterry wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:05 am
Nesikep wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:14 pm

Our roads are crap
I sure hope you don't meet someone else coming the opposite direction on that road!!! :D :hide:
happens all the time... and just with the timing of when I go to town, I seem to meet the school bus on a particularly bad stretch!
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens