Well Pump Issue

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Well Pump Issue

Postby ClinchValley » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:13 am

Our well system is throwing the fault code for debris near/at the pump. Causing an over current. The controller is a SubDrive 75, made by franklin. I am not familiar with our system as it was installed before we were here. I do know the well is 580 or so feet deep. My question is do they locate the pump in the bottom of the hole? Anyone have any experience with a problem like this?

Couldn't have happened at a worse time. LOL.

Hoping to avoid calling someone to the farm. Its an awfully deep hole though.

Would it do any good to take the well cover off and stick a water hose in to fill with water. Maybe flush something out?
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Re: Well Pump Issue

Postby ddd75 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:22 am

you could try to bypass the controller to see if it will pump water. The controller could possibly be bad so thats the first thing I would do.
0 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:56 am

Firstly, i am not the most mechanically inclined individual. So my descriptions may be lacking.

It isn't a problem upon startup. It runs fine at first. Builds pressure as it is supposed to. It stalls at different PSI each time. 30, 45, 85, etc. It normally runs about 88 psi. It has built full pressure and kicked off. Only to throw a fault code at some point in the night. All of a sudden, while running, the pressure stops building and the system reboots. Works fine for five or ten minutes and does it all over again.

That being said, would you still try to bypass the controller? Or does that eliminate a controller problem?

Should i go ahead and call a well tech?
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:57 am

When it is running there seems to be normal pressure at waterers and spigots.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 am

I'd call a well and pump man, it's hard to beat a man at his game, it might save you money in the long run.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:13 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I'd call a well and pump man, it's hard to beat a man at his game

Yeah, i think so.

Thanks y'all.
0 x

aaroninga
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby aaroninga » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:22 pm

That's odd, mine quit pumping Saturday after the Friday snow day.
I sanded the contacts on the pressure switch and they still didn't really look like good contacts.
Called TSC and they had a switch, $20. Called home depot and they had a control box, $80.
Replaced both and problem solved.
Only other thing is the pump itself.
Yup 200-300' down the well pipe.
I believe the bladder pressure tank can make pressure fluctuate but not sure.
Really good info on roto rooter website about well issues.
Good luck!
0 x
Aaron.....

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:43 pm

I agree with getting a pro out as soon as possible to trouble shoot the issue. Learn from the pro then if you want to try to do your own repairs you have a place to start from. Most of these self-taught, I can fix it guys do more harm than good IMO. :tiphat:

ddd75 wrote:you could try to bypass the controller to see if it will pump water. The controller could possibly be bad so thats the first thing I would do.

That's a good way to burn up and expensive piece of equipment. Need to get a meter and check if the motor is actually pulling what the controller says. That will tell you if the controller is bad or not.
Last edited by Brute 23 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:14 pm

Rom the way it is operating I would say the fault code is correct. I would be pulling the pump and clearing it.

Ken
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:56 pm

Makes my shoulders burn to think about pulling one that deep, but it sure sounds like the right thing to do. Wiring around it smells a lot like money on fire. I'll second the motion to call the pros.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:28 am

Out of curiosity, have you been extremely dry and recently had some moisture?

We have issues with our well picking up sediment with each wet spell following a dry period, to the point that a paper cartridge in our water filter would last literally 10 minutes. I put a spin-down filter on before the cartridge filter recently and it helps a lot with the symptoms. In the past, I've raised the well pump a few feet and fab'd a "sock" out of plastic drain pipe that attaches to the pipe above the pump and extends a couple feet below the pump. This seems to help a good bit, keeping the turbulent water away from the pump itself.

Best of luck with your issues.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:51 am

I'm scared to death to mess with the controller any.

The fault code seems very correct to me as well.

If the pump were defective, in my mind it would be acting different.

Once the pump is pulled, what is a way to clear the debris?

We are calling a professional today if we cannot devise a reasonable method to pull the pump ourselves. But man, 580 ft sounds pretty rough. I just fear the pro will feel the same way.
0 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:52 am

cfpinz wrote:Out of curiosity, have you been extremely dry and recently had some moisture?

We have issues with our well picking up sediment with each wet spell following a dry period, to the point that a paper cartridge in our water filter would last literally 10 minutes. I put a spin-down filter on before the cartridge filter recently and it helps a lot with the symptoms. In the past, I've raised the well pump a few feet and fab'd a "sock" out of plastic drain pipe that attaches to the pipe above the pump and extends a couple feet below the pump. This seems to help a good bit, keeping the turbulent water away from the pump itself.

Best of luck with your issues.

Hasn't been dry. No Sir. My Pops thinks something is defective with the pump. But the pump seems to run fine to me. Its like something sucks up against the pump, causing it to pull super hard and it cuts out. IMO.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:08 am

ClinchValley wrote:I'm scared to death to mess with the controller any.

We are calling a professional today if we cannot devise a reasonable method to pull the pump ourselves. But man, 580 ft sounds pretty rough. I just fear the pro will feel the same way.

They will pull it no problem. There is a good chance it is rust, or scale, or some thing like that. Either way they should be able to jet the well with an air comp and clean it up.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:15 am

ClinchValley wrote:I'm scared to death to mess with the controller any.

550 to 600 feet is the common depth in this part of the county.
Well service here can put your checkbook in the ER .
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”