how wide should a loading chute be?

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
coalburner
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: how wide should a loading chute be?

Postby coalburner » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:29 am

I’ve had pretty decent success with 28-30 inch chutes, also have filled up last 8 foot of chute with dirt to about 12” on trailer end back to 0. This helps calves not to have to jump up into trailer. They just step right out of chute into trailer. Seems to help load out really well.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:33 am

I've helped people load cattle where they had to go through the squeeze chute. I hate it with a purple passion. If you can it's much better to have your squeeze chute opening back into your working pen, and a separate, open top chute to load from. Safer too.
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:00 am

The problem with a narrow load out comes when a trailer with swinging doors backs up to.
You can't back up flush unless you fold the doors on the outside of the chute. Then you can't close the doors without pulling up.
There's a difference in a working chute and a load out. A load out should be wide enough to back the trailer in flush and open the door inside the chute.
Take a look at the salebarn....not the ramp for pots. Where they load trailers.
0 x
Always take care of your credit. When you need it. It will take care of you.

Tennessee Tuxedo

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:17 pm

Fence,

That's why I don't buy trailers with batwing doors. I don't have a separate working chute, and besides, I don't want cattle turning around and coming back at me when I'm trying to load them.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:28 pm

Rafter S wrote:Fence,

That's why I don't buy trailers with batwing doors. I don't have a separate working chute, and besides, I don't want cattle turning around and coming back at me when I'm trying to load them.

Designed mine for both.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:37 pm

Rafter S wrote:Fence,

Agreed. I was just making a point. A fellow may not always be loading out in his trailer.
I prefer a single swing with a slide in it. It's what on my 24' trailer.
I've got a 16 with batwings and as you know there's lots of batwings around. As far as them turning back. I put a gate in about 8 ' behind the trailer entrance. Cutout and run up what will fit in one cut. Once their in that last catch they can turn till their dizzy. I can reach em with the hot shot and once one goes they all go.

I'm not saying my pens are just like that. I've got the most cobbled together rig of leftovers you have ever seen. (Think mechanics car). But when I build for a customer. I try to make it where it will work in any situation.
0 x
Always take care of your credit. When you need it. It will take care of you.

Tennessee Tuxedo

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:19 am

Rafter S wrote:I've helped people load cattle where they had to go through the squeeze chute. I hate it with a purple passion. If you can it's much better to have your squeeze chute opening back into your working pen, and a separate, open top chute to load from. Safer too.

I bought a homemade one like that once. Had just as you said on one side and an access chute, drop down, half height on the other. Drop gate behind so that you could either lock the animal in the chute and block the rump for shots or what have you, or leaving the access chute closed, open the gate enough for the animal to pull it's head out, chain intact across the brisket so you don't get any "bolts" out; it backs up slightly and exits out the side gate....very handy. Or if loading out the side just leave the run gate open, open the side into the trailer and let them have at it.

I did make a ramp once out of about 10 bags of Sacrete right at where the trailer backed up; another chute with no head gate....used for loading only. Reason was my trailer was homemade and too high off the ground. When I got a new WW I didn't need to use it any longer.
0 x

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:29 am

Rafter S wrote:I've helped people load cattle.............

This and other things like chase a horse around a lot in an attempt to get it in a trailer. Had a neighbor that didn't think things out before he did them and would call me over to help him do this and that, most simple chores but more livestock situations than I cared for.

One day I just told him that if I wanted to chase a horse or some cows around a lot, I'd have one and a lot (not corral); but I don't (have a horse nor a lot) and don't want to help you chase yours! It took awhile, but he doesn't call me any more.
0 x

Logar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Logar » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Make it no wider than the door on the trailer.

A few inches less is not a bad thing.

We have some big cows and everything is 34 inches - I want their sides rubbing as they go up that chute.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”