Deal or Dud

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

Deal or Dud

Postby slick4591 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:01 pm

Haven't seen this before. What do you think?

0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: Deal or Dud

Postby slick4591 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:07 pm

0 x

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 pm

I've never thought of myself as cheap, and I hate hooking up PTOs, but that price about made me choke.
2 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:22 pm

Looks a bit like putting Pioneer adapters on both ends of a John Deere hose. Call me crazy, but if there is a benefit, I don't see it. Dud.
2 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Atimm693
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Atimm693 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:27 pm

I don't see how it saves much hassle. Still have to spin either the implement or PTO shaft to line it up, which is the toughest part I run into if the tractor has an automatic PTO brake.

Plus, I hate to add another part that could fail on an assembly that will wreak havoc if it let's loose.
1 x

Silver
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Silver » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:44 pm

Just run 1000 pto and they are never out of line. Shut the tractor off and the pto brake comes off.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:03 pm

Barnum was right!
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:13 pm

Silver wrote:Just run 1000 pto and they are never out of line. Shut the tractor off and the pto brake comes off.

That all depends on the tractor.. Our MF165 is a PITA.. the IH684 has about a 1/4 turn of "slop", I think it's especially to make hooking up implements easier
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:42 pm

I never knew it was hard to hook up a pto. :???:
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:31 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I never knew it was hard to hook up a pto. :???:

Shoot, get some of those big heavy ones and have stuff all in the way and it's about all I can do on some of them.
Some I have to get real close and hook the pto up then back the rest of the way and hook the implement.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:10 am

jedstivers wrote:

Shoot, get some of those big heavy ones and have stuff all in the way and it's about all I can do on some of them.
Some I have to get real close and hook the pto up then back the rest of the way and hook the implement.

Easiest way to hook up the heavy ones is hook a ratchet strap around the implement PTO shaft and hook the other end of the strap to the end of the top link. You can just crank the strap enough so that it lines up perfectly with the PTO. That way all you have to fiddle with is the latching mechanism and the shaft itself.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:20 am

dun wrote:
jedstivers wrote:

Easiest way to hook up the heavy ones is hook a ratchet strap around the implement PTO shaft and hook the other end of the strap to the end of the top link. You can just crank the strap enough so that it lines up perfectly with the PTO. That way all you have to fiddle with is the latching mechanism and the shaft itself.

Yep.
Speaking of the latching mechanism though, now days it seems they make them harder to use. The old simple push pin is no more.
1 x

Atimm693
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Atimm693 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:28 am

jedstivers wrote:
dun wrote:
jedstivers wrote:Shoot, get some of those big heavy ones and have stuff all in the way and it's about all I can do on some of them.

Yep.
Speaking of the latching mechanism though, now days it seems they make them harder to use. The old simple push pin is no more.

And those be nice plastic shields around the knuckles, that do nothing but trap gallons of grease and get in the way...

I don't mind a shield around the shaft, but around the knuckle is nothing but a nuisance.
1 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:45 am

I was kinda excited when I first saw this as I just had a fight with my mower and its drive shaft. If they were a little less expensive I'd probably give one a try.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:45 am

Dud
1 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”