Nontypical No Till Drills

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
rockroadseminole
Cowhand
Cowhand

Nontypical No Till Drills

Postby rockroadseminole » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:24 pm

You've got to love going to the Sunbelt Ag Expo. You get your mind set on a Haybuster 107, but decide to go to the expo to look at other options. Should have never gone.

Does anyone have any experience with either of the following no-till drills: The Plant-o-Vator (www.sodbasedfarming.com) or the Aitchison GrassFarmer? I've seen Plant-o-vator ads in the Stockman Grass Farmer newspaper, but I've never heard of Aitchison until today.

They simply seem to have a better seed application method via shanks than the standard v-disk. I really liked the Plant-o-vator, but I don't think my IH574 (67hp) is going to have enough traction to pull it. The crazy part is I'm trying to talk myself into expanding my small collection and hunting down a bigger International tractor (1086 maybe) to pull it. If money only...

Ideas?
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Nontypical No Till Drills

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:48 pm

Don't know about either but sure hard to beat a Haybuster. Keep us informed.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Have had very variable results with no till drilling into sod. I would find someone with the same drill, and the same types of sod grass(es), to minimize confusion.
0 x
Stocker Steve

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:17 pm

So Steve were your bad results drilling into sod due to the machine or the soil conditions?
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Yes
Need ideal conditions due to low down pressure capability.
0 x
Stocker Steve

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:00 am

i've used ESCH drills before w/ some weights on the front and rear for downpressure. It would go through rock hard ground to any depth you set it. It's a very heavy drill.
https://www.machinerypete.com/planting/drills/esch
0 x

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:50 am

A ripper with seeding and fertilizer capabilities. Horsepower requirements are high per foot of implement and seed and fertilizer capacity appears to be low. I don't know how many acres or how much you plan to use it but I think it would get old quick using it.

The advantage I can see is your strip tilling the area your planting in temporarily eliminating the competition allowing what you plant a slight advantage.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:37 am

Strip till is very trendy. :banana: Some arguments over whether it is REAL no till. Who cares.

Problem with all this new & improved technology is how many acres do you need to cover to make it pay...

Farm Business Management data shows producers who recently invested in technology have below average returns (with the current commodity prices). :shock:
0 x
Stocker Steve

rockroadseminole
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rockroadseminole » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:21 pm

I have about 200 acres to cover, and at 10' a pass that would get a little dull. But not too bad. I don't see how the cost of any of this stuff adds up in a downward market, but the goal would be to minimize/eliminate feed and hay cost. Possibly rent out the service to other ranchers. It would hopefully increase stock density too. In my area we can grow green forage year round with the right tools.

When you compare the prices to comparable sized drills, these are actually cheaper. I would assume maintenance cost would be lower due to fewer bearings, etc.

I didn't post a link to the other one before. It looks like it's a New Zealand company with dealers in the US.
Aitchison Grassfarmer link: http://www.reesegroup.co.nz/Aitchison/c ... rmer.html#
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:33 pm

I have Haybuster 107 and it's pretty much bullet proof. It's not best planting no- till drill, but it's the most heavy duty, no maintenance, and simplest no -till made. IMO
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

rockroadseminole
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rockroadseminole » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:34 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:Strip till is very trendy. :banana: Some arguments over whether it is REAL no till. Who cares.

Problem with all this new & improved technology is how many acres do you need to cover to make it pay...

Farm Business Management data shows producers who recently invested in technology have below average returns (with the current commodity prices). :shock:

If I could get a few of you guys in the great white north to send me your cattle during the winter we could send them back come spring all fat and happy. We'll call it the snowbird weight gain program. Not to mention the per pound $ would help me fund this stuff! :idea:

I might need to take this to a new thread, but out of curiosity what does it cost on average to carry a steer from Nov-March in an area where it snows?
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Single disc JD drills come in 15' widths with any row spacing you could want, plus a small seed box. Buy one, or rent one, you'll be happier with a 75 year old design.
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:49 am

Why single disk?
0 x
Stocker Steve

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:17 pm

They do better in dry, or hard packed ground, like pasture. Clouters and double disk do better on wetter ground.
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”