Round Balers

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Round Balers

Postby Texasmark » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:11 am

jltrent wrote:
chevytaHOE5674 wrote:I make really tight 4x5 bales both dry and silage with a NH 648SS and when baling silage it works a 100hp tractor pretty good. Start baling silage on some hilly ground and I want all the tractor I can find. Even dry hay when packing them tight and trying to move along it takes some power.

As for net vs twine you couldn't give me another twine only baler. I don't have too much trouble with the net wrap even with our crazy winters (Had 140 inches of snow so far this winter, -30 one day and +35 and rain two days later, then back to -15). Use good quality net wrap and if needed set the next days bales on the flat side in the sun, even at -15 the net will thaw out. Id much rather deal with net in the winter than have to deal with twine all summer when I am pressed for time.

Edit: Also as far as your economic example it all sound good on paper until something goes wrong. I maintain my baler better than I maintain anything I own and this summer I had a bearing go bad in the main gearbox which locked up and twisted off the output shaft, chewed up some gears, and broke the mounting ears off the baler frame. By the time I was all said and done I probably could have bought a winter or two worth of hay with that one repair alone. haha

That is a heck of a break down. Was the oil level good in the gear box as I am sure you had checked it. On the NH around here the pickups are pretty weak, but they do make a good bale.

I don't remember the protective device on my 530 but the 375 manual specifies, and I use, a ¼" grade 8 shear bolt and I ensure the joint is lubricated and free to move. I too have had roller bearing failures in the last couple of years on my 1991 model baler. All were the small, easily repairable, supplemental rollers, not main drives. One did catch fire, catching the hay in the baler on fire, but I saw the smoke (originally mistaken for the usual dust I was creating), dumped the bale as I made a high tail for the water hose. Made it and no damage..
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:06 pm

No shear bolt but a slip clutch on the input of the gearbox. When tested it slipped at the book spec'd torque. When the bearing failed the gearbox locked up and in an instant the gearbox tore from the frame before the clutch had time to slip. When the gearbox rotated about its input shafts the output shaft which is at a 90 had no choice but to snap off.

Nothing against the baler just using it as an example of how the economics of making hay "cheap" can change in a hurry. I make a lot of hay both for myself and as a custom operator and even at that it's hard to stomach the expensive of a baler sometimes.
0 x

Silver
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Silver » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:36 pm

Texasmark wrote:
Silver wrote:
Texasmark wrote:
55hp won't do with a 530. I had one and a JD 4230DC (100 PTO) and it would start talking to the tractor after passing 5.5' diameter. On a 2/12 pitched incline it would start talking at around 4'. Tractor was under 4000 hrs and in pristeen condition as was the baler for it's age.

Currently doing 5x4s with a JD 375 (rolls a 5x6 but is full at 5x4) and a nearly new 65 hp (57 PTO) and it starts grunting around 3.5.

On a volumetric basis take a 5x6 (JD 530) at 141, a 4x6 (430) comes in at 113 and my 5x4 (375) comes in at 63, all things being equal otherwise...moisture, density, crop type......so sir, I think you are underpowered for your aspirations.

I don't think so. I was referring to the series of baler, assuming the 430 would be the one to choose. Guys pull them with those little tractors in flat country all the time.

I never pulled a 430 so I can't speak from experience. Just speculating from my experiences with JD balers on both sides of the 430's capacity.

I Think JD recommends 65 hp for the 430, so if hay is dry and land is flat I'm thinking he could get away with it. Especially if he backed the size down. If he's only making 120 bales a year it should just be a matter of slowing down and suffering through for a few hours.
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 pm

As crazy as it may sound, I enjoy doing it, as I'd be willing to bet a good amount of posters on this board do also." You ain't been here long have you? :). We ain't never heard that...
1 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Ridgefarmer63 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:49 am

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:I make really tight 4x5 bales both dry and silage with a NH 648SS and when baling silage it works a 100hp tractor pretty good. Start baling silage on some hilly ground and I want all the tractor I can find. Even dry hay when packing them tight and trying to move along it takes some power.

As for net vs twine you couldn't give me another twine only baler. I don't have too much trouble with the net wrap even with our crazy winters (Had 140 inches of snow so far this winter, -30 one day and +35 and rain two days later, then back to -15). Use good quality net wrap and if needed set the next days bales on the flat side in the sun, even at -15 the net will thaw out. Id much rather deal with net in the winter than have to deal with twine all summer when I am pressed for time.

Edit: Also as far as your economic example it all sound good on paper until something goes wrong. I maintain my baler better than I maintain anything I own and this summer I had a bearing go bad in the main gearbox which locked up and twisted off the output shaft, chewed up some gears, and broke the mounting ears off the baler frame. By the time I was all said and done I probably could have bought a winter or two worth of hay with that one repair alone. haha

I hear you and thanks for the input. I have no issue in central NH with net wrap on the haylage I'm buying. One thing you said is lay a few out on the flat side in the sun. I always stack them on the flat side. I never put them on the round side unless I'm throwing them in the feeder..
0 x

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Ridgefarmer63 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:55 am

Went to JD dealer to return a part Saturday. Started talking balers. Brand new 440 E 4 x 4 twine only. Variable chamber.Would end up costing around 22k was the vibe I was getting. 450 E was needed for twine and that added about 5 K and you could do 5 x 4's with that.
0 x

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Ridgefarmer63 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:56 am

Ridgefarmer63 wrote:Went to JD dealer to return a part Saturday. Started talking balers. Brand new 440 E 4 x 4 twine only. Variable chamber.Would end up costing around 22k was the vibe I was getting. 450 E was needed for twine and that added about 5 K and you could do 5 x 4's with that.

450E for net wrap I mean.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Ridgefarmer63 wrote:
Ridgefarmer63 wrote:Went to JD dealer to return a part Saturday. Started talking balers. Brand new 440 E 4 x 4 twine only. Variable chamber.Would end up costing around 22k was the vibe I was getting. 450 E was needed for twine and that added about 5 K and you could do 5 x 4's with that.

That is an Economy baler for 27k. Dang I hate to ask what their "M" series balers sale for, probably close to 35k-40k. How does a farmer fit a 70k truck in there and a 75k tractor to pull it with on farmer selling prices?
0 x

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Ridgefarmer63 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:26 pm

jltrent wrote:
Ridgefarmer63 wrote:

That is an Economy baler for 27k. Dang I hate to ask what their "M" series balers sale for, probably close to 35k-40k. How does a farmer fit a 70k truck in there and a 75k tractor to pull it with on farmer selling prices?

IDK. Stay single or marry smart, I guess. As the farmer who won the lottery said when asked what he'd do with all the money he'd won, " I guess I'll just keep farming until it runs out". Think I might have seen that here on CT.

I still think if you could get ten or so relatively trouble free years out of it, even at 100 to 200 bales per year it'd be worth it.

The other option is just buy the hay as more than one has said during this thread. Hate relying on other people. They'll f--k it up at some point and you'll holding the tab.

Think I'd rather rely on cows. I like them better anyways !! ha ha.
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Ridgefarmer63 wrote: Hate relying on other people. They'll f--k it up at some point and you'll holding the tab.

But that somebody else also gets to foot the bill for tractors, tires, fuel, oils, mower, blades, belts, rake, teeth, baker, twine, net, grease, etc and has to worry about the weather and what not. If your doing it for yourself then when things go wrong you only have yourself to blame for f***ing it up and you get to foot the bill.

If you just want to make hay then there is no need to justify it cost wise just do it.

If you think spending 27k on a baler is going to save you money by making 100 bales a year then you are fooling yourself.
1 x

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Ridgefarmer63 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:05 am

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:
Ridgefarmer63 wrote: Hate relying on other people. They'll f--k it up at some point and you'll holding the tab.

But that somebody else also gets to foot the bill for tractors, tires, fuel, oils, mower, blades, belts, rake, teeth, baker, twine, net, grease, etc and has to worry about the weather and what not. If your doing it for yourself then when things go wrong you only have yourself to blame for f***ing it up and you get to foot the bill.

If you just want to make hay then there is no need to justify it cost wise just do it.

If you think spending 27k on a baler is going to save you money by making 100 bales a year then you are fooling yourself.

I appreciate the feed back. I wanted real opinions and got them.

I run the farm as a business so I see what I am spending at the local NAPA every year. I hear ya.

If I am going to buy, maybe used, 10 k range is wiser. I would have two options for baling ( I have a NH square baler now) so neither one would have to be new. Having a back up baler would be good.

If the farm grows the way I have planned, God willing, maybe I will re-visit the "new" idea.
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:35 am

0 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:21 pm

If you think you can justify any type of your own hay equipment for sub 200 bales your math is way off. Maybe if you have endless time and perfect weather to spend working on a 2000$ baler every other bale. I used to hate baleing with the old jd 560. Upgraded to a 569 3 years ago, 36,000 bales and not one problem.
When conditions are right, I bale at 9mph
0 x

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:55 pm

Tbrake wrote:If you think you can justify any type of your own hay equipment for sub 200 bales your math is way off. Maybe if you have endless time and perfect weather to spend working on a 2000$ baler every other bale. I used to hate baleing with the old jd 560. Upgraded to a 569 3 years ago, 36,000 bales and not one problem.
When conditions are right, I bale at 9mph

I don't think he wants a 2000$ baler. For around 10000$ he should be able to find a very nice used baler that would last him a long time. And you do know after that statement that the next time u hook up your roller it will fall apart don't you?? Lol
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:37 pm

I am one in the class of doing 200 or so bales a year and owning my own baler. I have for the last 14 or so years. We had a few customer balers back when I bought a used NH chain baler, said I would run it a few years then upgrade, ran it for 10 years I think. Now days there are very few around here that custom bale much and getting them to do it when the weather is right and the hay ready is a chore. It might not be the most cost effective thing to own your own but I feel I can control quality a little more, bad enough to work around the weather much less someone else's schedule.
4 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”